What was the WORST movie you ever saw, that critics liked?

Namuna

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2000
Thin Red Line
Critics raved about it, I went to see it. You could actually hear people throughout the theatre mumbling about wasting their money on this one.

Ghost Dog
Like 3/4th of all the reviews I read LOVED this movie, after I saw it I felt ROBBED for spending the money on the damned DVD

I'll think up a few more.

Regine

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2000
Didn't the critics love The Blair Witch Project?
I didn't like it at all.

lowtech1

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2000

Cyclo & Thin Red Line are the worst movies that I have saw & the damned critics love it.

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999
Had to be Schindler's List for me. I knew it would win the Oscar though. All socially charged movies win Oscars, regardless if they were actually good.

Schola

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
No the most god awful film every made is American Psycho. I won't even admit seeeing it with my friends it sucked so bad.
Oh ya by the way I did not see it ;)

Schola

DirkBelig

Banned
Oct 15, 1999
Recent stinkers that the critics mostly loved:

GLADIATOR: Only Roger Ebert got it right about the overrated craptacular. Worst movie of 2000!

EYES WIDE SHUT: Kubrick is sooooooo overrated and this boring POS was the capper. Totally bogus premise. (Wife sees hot guy and does NOTHING; husband gets weird about it. Jeez...they should see me and my girlfriend at the bar. "Her. I'm gonna go bang her now. See ya later.")

MAGNOLIA: Stupid, pointless and what the hell were all the frogs about.

PAY IT FORWARD: Touted as a "feel-good" movie, it's a muddled melodrama with the WORST ending possible. Ugh. 2nd to "Crapulator" on Dirk's Sh*t List.

DirkBelig

Banned
Oct 15, 1999
Schola: American Psycho was really good. If you think that "A Clockwork Orange" is a comedy (like I do) then you'll like AP.

If you didn't see it, how do you know?

Schola

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I did see AP, I was being sarcastic. I never saw " A clockwork orange though". Still I hated AP.
Schola

denali

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Schola, I agree American Psycho was the worst movie I have seen in a long time.

CinderElmo

Jun 23, 2000
American Beauty Got rave reviews and all that, but really it was just a boring "day in the life of average dude" movie. Yawn. Hated it.

Fargo Just an exhibition of northern accents and a lame story. Dude offs wife in chipper shredder, hilarity to follow. *Belccchhh*! That is what I think of it.

Looking now, they are both that same "style" of artsy film-noir CRAP. That explains it!

:Q

soup or man

Jan 17, 2000

<< MAGNOLIA: Stupid, pointless and what the hell were all the frogs about. >>

read Exodus 8:2
this is paraphrased, but it says something like &quot;If you refuse to let them go, i will plague your nation with frogs&quot;. but i agree, Magnolia is a TERRIBLE movie.

my worst movie was Happiness don't see it.

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
American Beauty...it was an ok movie but not worth all the hype. Also, I will agree about Blair Witch. I was actually angry when I left that movie. All it was, was a bad campfire story.

The Wildcard

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 1999
I actually liked Notting Hill.

But back to the main topic, yes, Thin Red line was insanely weird.

adams

Golden Member
Sep 12, 2000
I liked Notting Hill as well :D

I really did not like Speed. One of the only movies I actually wanted to leave during the middle of. I can't remember if the critics liked it, but it sure was popular.

Regine

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2000
I actually like Gladiator, Schindler's List and The English Patient.

/me shrugs

SuperGroove

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
TRP,

You must be TRPing, because Killing Fields kicked some mondo ass. What's disheartening when I think about it though, is Dr. Nguyen died two years ago due to a car hijacking gone wrong.

I loved Magnolia...that movie kicked ass...provided you took the time to think things through, and how each situation related to another....man that movie is a great one!

Umm...doncha know Fargo kicked ass? The story was great, and I LOOOVE William H. Macy! The Dude kicks mondo ass as the Shoveler.

Bad movies though:

Shakespeare in Love. I hated it because I watched it after it beat Saving Private Ryan for best picture. I mean....when a movie brings grown men to tears, you know it's a powerful movie. My dad was a sergeant in the Korean Army during the Vietnam war and I've never ever seen him cry. After the movie, I just couldn't get him to walk straight...his eyes were so welled up with tears.

Paul

d0ofy

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
I'd have to saw the Sixth Sense. Bruce Willis gets shot with a magnum and they expect to fool me into thinking he's still vertical? c'mon.