What was that old castle game?

cw42

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
I can't remember the name, but... you can build a castle (it goes from a tiny one, to a fort, to a big one), knights on horseback, archers, and foot soldiers. It was kinda like Risk/Civilizations/Warcraft, real old. When your guys encounter enemies, you can attack/flee, and then your guys will do small battle scene after you click.

Any ideas of the name? I know i'm being real vague, and a lot of games fit this description.

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
Yeah, sounds like it could be either Lords of the Realm 2 or Castles 2.

Lords 2 screenies below:
i_lord23.jpg

lords_screen001.jpg

cw42

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
omg castles 2! that was it, thanks.

great game. i'm looking for something similar for iphone now, heh.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Castles or Castles 2.
Also, Lords of the Realm 1 and 2.
Lords 2 was so fucking awesome I may just shit myself thinking about it.

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
ok, that settles it, I'm installing Lords of the Realm 2 when I get home. found my CD a few months ago but haven't done anything with it; I think it's time.

Chapbass

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
lmao rampart. what a good game. I still remember the awesome guy screaming on the label of the cartridge.

Rampart_Cover.jpg

Last edited:

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
ok, that settles it, I'm installing Lords of the Realm 2 when I get home. found my CD a few months ago but haven't done anything with it; I think it's time.

just played it for awhile. SO AWESOME. why is there no updated version of this? (I never tried Lords 3 but I heard it was completely different and sucked.)

I4AT

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2006
Never heard of Castles, but I used to play the shit out of Lords of the Realm 2 back in the day. It was one of my first real PC games, and I was pretty young so I never really understood the game enough to actually win, although I was able to have some pretty long games after a while. Sending insults was my favorite thing ever. Thinking about LotR2 reminds me of a space-sim game I used to play a lot called Ascendancy, I'm pretty sure I still have both of those discs somewhere.

Chapbass

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
Ascendancy is also an absolutely epic game. Played the demo of it in PC Gamer back in the day, had to go out and buy it. I definitely still have it, the blue/red/orange looking CD artwork has got to be some of the best artwork ive ever seen on a CD before.

Only thing that bugged me about the game was the fact that you had to shoot each shot individually, so sometimes combat really dragged...but it was way ahead of its time, and really ushered in the master of orion series.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Ascendancy is also an absolutely epic game. Played the demo of it in PC Gamer back in the day, had to go out and buy it. I definitely still have it, the blue/red/orange looking CD artwork has got to be some of the best artwork ive ever seen on a CD before.

Only thing that bugged me about the game was the fact that you had to shoot each shot individually, so sometimes combat really dragged...but it was way ahead of its time, and really ushered in the master of orion series.

Ascendancy WAS awesome. It doesnt really have anything to do with this thread, but it was awesome.
I owned the full version, and played it until my eyes were sore. Its what got me started in 4x. Compared to modern games, it was pretty darn clunky. But it was also fun enough to make me look past all shortcomings. I miss those days.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
lmao rampart. what a good game. I still remember the awesome guy screaming on the label of the cartridge.

Rampart_Cover.jpg

okay, I have DEFINITELY seen that on some other game cover or art. I thought it might be from the HoMM series but it's not in any of the art I can find... anyone know if some more recent game has done something in a similar style?