Question what video card should I buy?

blackrain2

Aug 26, 2018
It has been recommended in another thread that while I have some older components (brand new never used), I can keep most of those components for a gaming PC build, except for the video card.

I imagine that I could easily overspend on a top of the line video card that *might* be bottlenecked by the age of the rest of the components. Here is my proposed build:

i7-4770k LGA1150
Socket LGA1150 mobo (most likely MSI Z87-G45 Gaming since it isn't as limited for overclocking)
G. Skill Sniper F3-1866C10D-16GSR

What would you recommend to play modern games?

Thoughts on:

Last edited by a moderator:

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
5500XT is good but not enough if you plan on playing latest AAA games. See if you can afford 5700XT as that will be way better and still not too powerful to bottleneck the 4770K.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
What resolution were you hoping to play at and what kind of FPS levels were you targeting? Does your monitor support Freesync or Gsync and is there any particular title that you play more often than others. Finally, were you looking for something you'd keep for several years or is this just to hold you over until some future point where you'll do another build?

If you get a top of the line. GPU and plan on playing in 4K, an old CPU won't bottleneck you as much as it would even a more midrange card running at 1080p. A 5500XT will run modern games, but if you're trying to play on the highest settings it's going to be sub-60 FPS in a lot of them, even at 1080p. However depending on the titles you mainly want to play it may not be an issue as it can get upwards of 90 FPS in other games without turning the settings down.

If you're looking to spend around $200, the 1660 SUPER is probably a better fit if you can find one at MSRP, but they have been spiking massively the last few weeks. Assuming they come back to normal levels, it's only about $230 (vs. ~$210 for a good AIB 5500XT) and it performs something like 15% better on average depending on what's all included in the titles being benchmarked. It only has 6 GB of VRAM, but if you're at 1080p there are still plenty of games that don't even need more than 4GB, though this may change with the release of the new console generation.

blackrain2

Aug 26, 2018
What resolution were you hoping to play at and what kind of FPS levels were you targeting? Does your monitor support Freesync or Gsync and is there any particular title that you play more often than others. Finally, were you looking for something you'd keep for several years or is this just to hold you over until some future point where you'll do another build?

If you get a top of the line. GPU and plan on playing in 4K, an old CPU won't bottleneck you as much as it would even a more midrange card running at 1080p. A 5500XT will run modern games, but if you're trying to play on the highest settings it's going to be sub-60 FPS in a lot of them, even at 1080p. However depending on the titles you mainly want to play it may not be an issue as it can get upwards of 90 FPS in other games without turning the settings down.

If you're looking to spend around $200, the 1660 SUPER is probably a better fit if you can find one at MSRP, but they have been spiking massively the last few weeks. Assuming they come back to normal levels, it's only about $230 (vs. ~$210 for a good AIB 5500XT) and it performs something like 15% better on average depending on what's all included in the titles being benchmarked. It only has 6 GB of VRAM, but if you're at 1080p there are still plenty of games that don't even need more than 4GB, though this may change with the release of the new console generation.
On a projector (or possibly large TV) most of the time in a theater room. Not sure about which games but mostly newest shooters. Looking for something for several years.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
GTX 1660 (Super, Ti), are being snapped up by miners as much as gamers, IMHO.

I had figured something like that, but why all of a sudden? I looked at a price trend for it and it's only been like that within the last week or two. Everything before that had it tracking at MSRP.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I had figured something like that, but why all of a sudden? I looked at a price trend for it and it's only been like that within the last week or two. Everything before that had it tracking at MSRP.
BTC and ETH are tracking towards ATHs again. "Some people" are noticing again. Also, some miners have ROI'ed their polaris cards, and itching for something newer and more efficient.

blackrain2

Aug 26, 2018

Ever shop shopblt.com? seems like a legit operation. They have ETAs and # of cards on pre-order. I have never seen that before.