What Video card for XPS 630 ?

VINMAN

Oct 13, 1999
got good deal on an XPS 630, just want to upgrade the video card. So which way to go? GTX 260? 280 or maybe ATI 4870 ? anyone else with xps 630 chime in.

Thx for the info
-Vinman

Slugbait

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hmmm...something tells me your drive cage is going to be in the way of the cooler. Perhaps not, depends on the length difference.

But I digress. For less muss and fuss...especially for a situation like recovery...go with the same GPU manufacturer your box has now.

VINMAN

Oct 13, 1999
Well they sell this thing with ATI or Nvidia so im not sure either should be a problem. This one is coming with older ATI 3870 card. Anyone else with any ideas ?

thx
Vinman

Slugbait

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: VINMAN
Well they sell this thing with ATI or Nvidia so im not sure either should be a problem.
Vinman

I know they do. I also know that it shouldn't be a problem for the system to support either one. The issue is muss & fuss...how much hassle switching do you desire? Especially for situations of recovery?

And considering you don't have a current 630, you might also have an older case...how's the length and clearance looking now? Same 750 PSU, or smaller? Have you even bothered to open your box?

VINMAN

Oct 13, 1999
hasnt arrived yet i just ordered it . should be here few days i hope, its the older Black case i just bought it off the Outlet if that helps

thx
Vinman

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
I have a XPS 630i, there is plenty of room for 2 full length 8800 GT's and there is still another 3-4 inches it could potentially go. The way the case is designed is such that the central area where the video cards are, there is nothing else in the case in that area except the front fan.

VINMAN

Oct 13, 1999
ya just got it today, seems to have ALOT of room so i guess the ? is which one to go with. gtx 260/280 or the ati4870 ? any recommendations. It also has 750 w PS, its newer looking case Silver with Black front if that matters

thx
Vinman

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: MarcVenice
What resolution you playing at ? Does the board support crossfire or sli ?

The board doesn't support crossfire correctly, and SLI mode runs each PCIE lane at 8x, but there isn't a huge difference between dual 16x lanes and dual 8x lanes from the benchmarks that I have seen. I'm running SLI on it right now and it seems to run fine. The XPS 630i (the i indicates the Intel version; the other version of the XPS 630 runs an AMD chipset which does support crossfire) runs a the nforce 650 motherboard.

VINMAN

Oct 13, 1999
i play everything at 1900/1080 i think it does support SLI/crossfire but im prob not going to be be throwing 2X cards at it as its probably overkill for me. thus im thinking of one of the higher end single card solutions. My other computer im moving from has an 8800gt that seems to play all my games nicely so any of those newer ones should be good.

thx
Vinman