What Video Card For Watching Movies On 4K

elitejp

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2010
I just recently bought a 4k 55in tv mainly for 2 purposes
1.View high resolution photos taken with my Canon 6d
2.Watch movies
I connected the hdmi cable to my computer using onboard video and set up the tv/computer to view things in 4k content. Opened up the picture album and viewed them in uhd glory...they looked great.
Next I tried out video....choppy and out of sync.

So I bought a video card, chinese brand nvidea gtx650 1gb ddr5 (im in china). After i installed it and updated the drivers etc etc. I then tested it out on the tv using the hdmi slot. It recognized the tv just fine but wouldnt go above 1920X1080, and sound wouldnt play. So I searched through all the settings I could and came to a screen saying that the card wont recognize my tv. I contacted the company and they dont know if it supports 4k resolution.
So here are my questions:
Did I just get unlucky buying this brand card etc etc so that it for some reason cant recognize the tv and display 4k size?
The tv supports 1080p upscale to 4k so if I understand correctly I keep the tv resolution set at 2160p and when I play a 1080p movie the tv upscales it?

Like I said the onboard video will output to 2160p but cant smoothly play video. So what kind of card do I need? I seriously figured the computer was just lacking a little bit of umph and any video card would do the trick evidently not

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
That card is probably fine, the issue is I bet you are using the HDMI port. Try using the DVI port with an adaptor instead.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
That card is probably fine, the issue is I bet you are using the HDMI port. Try using the DVI port with an adaptor instead.

I'd think the same myself, probably DVI dual link if you can.

Bought a 2560 X 1080 monitor last Thanksgiving and switched to Dual Link on a ASUS R9 280X DCII TOP for that myself.

Not sure if that one will do it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

I honestly do not know a lot about 4K equipment.

Will be watching to see who else weighs in and what results.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/286-latest-industry-news/1611434-uhd-4k-quandary-buy-not-buy-57.html

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/1721610-4k-htpc-passive-gpu.html

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...e-4k-60hz-4-4-4-pc-nvidia-900-series-gpu.html

Last edited:

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Isn't there an upgraded HDMI standards cable you need to use for 4K? HDMI 2.0 or something like that...?

May 27, 2008
Isn't there an upgraded HDMI standards cable you need to use for 4K? HDMI 2.0 or something like that...?

Yep, HDMI 2.0. But you don't need an HDMI 2.0 cable as the cable is the same as an HDMI 1.4 cable. Its the other ends of the cable that need the HDMI 2.0 spec. In this case the monitor and video card.

The only video cards that I am aware of that sport the new HDMI 2.0 connector are the GTX 980 and GTX 970.

Without HDMI 2.0 at both ends the best you can get with HDMI 1.4 is 4k @ 24fps. With HDMI 2.0 at both ends (and a 1.4 cable) you can get 4k @ 50 and 60fps.

elitejp

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2010
Yep, HDMI 2.0. But you don't need an HDMI 2.0 cable as the cable is the same as an HDMI 1.4 cable. Its the other ends of the cable that need the HDMI 2.0 spec. In this case the monitor and video card.

The only video cards that I am aware of that sport the new HDMI 2.0 connector are the GTX 980 and GTX 970.

Without HDMI 2.0 at both ends the best you can get with HDMI 1.4 is 4k @ 24fps. With HDMI 2.0 at both ends (and a 1.4 cable) you can get 4k @ 50 and 60fps.
If im not playing games but just watching movies is 24fps enough. Again from my understanding since I actually dont have any 4k movies etc and only have 1080p movies the tv will do the upscaling. So really im only playing 1080p from the card and the tv is doing the rest. I really dont plan on spending too much on a card. And yes I am using the hdmi cable. I always thought they were the best. Shows what I know

elitejp

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2010
ok what if I buy a video card that has display port and then connect it with a dp to hdmi cable? Video card has dp and the tv has hdmi. Will the information pass to the tv or am I stuck?

rbk123

Aug 22, 2006

So if he uses the DVI port with an adapter, since it's still not HDMI 2.0 at the TV end, won't he still have the same problem? Or is the TV's HDMI 2.0?

elitejp

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2010
Ok im posting an update just because there seems to be so little information about this.
So I went and bought a gtx750 that said it was designated for 4k tv and had an hdmi port along with a dp port, so I at least know what the resolution is and I should have the cable to handle it. I installed it and paired it up with the hdmi/dp cable. Resolution wouldnt go over 1080p. Uninstalled reinstalled etc etc wasting most of the day. Finally switched to the hdmi/hdmi cable and got 4k resolution at 24fps. Anything higher and the the tv goes black.
I did install MadVr and watched a 1080p movie at 4k resolution and it looked very good. Looking at my dslr pics at 4k also look extremely good.
So overall its a good experience. What I do find disheartening is that I really cant find any information from samsung on what hdmi ports the tv has. Is it hdmi1/1.4/2.0? My guess is that its hdmi1. So why build a 4k tv without adding in the proper connections? Or what the fps are? So I guess if I was recommending a 4k tv I think I wouldnt. Not until they get thier act together and start putting out the needed info for a buyer to make an informed decision.

Im however coming from having no tv to a 4k. The price was basically the same price as a 1080p, obviously more expensive but not by much. And then finally my high res dlsr photos definitely look good. So the 4k tv is basically a large picture album for me.
So there you go 4k at 24fps.