What type of video signal does VGA carry?

Discussion in 'Highly Technical' started by bigal40, Apr 5, 2006.

1. bigal40

bigal40 Senior member

What type of signal is put out from the VGA port on a PC? Is it RGB SOG or RGBHV? I ask because I am trying to connect my PC to my projector. THe projector has a VGA input on it and I have a VGA to component adapter on it. Through the adapter I have my DVD player and HD STB which are putting out YPbPr. To hook up the PC i want to run a component cable to my receiver, which I use to switch sources as I only have one component cable running to the projector. I know the projector can display the output on that a computer puts out because it worked great when I ran a VGA cable straight from the PC to porjector. The only question is, is will the 3 RCA cables that make up a component cable be able to carry the video on the following path:
    PC(VGA) -> Component -> receiver -> component -> VGA -> projector.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - type video signal Forum Date
    Space warping white dwarfs ? No, more likely the result of a new type of bonding Highly Technical Sep 1, 2012
    Easy way to type math Highly Technical Jul 28, 2011
    Why did they always want the exact same blood type during surgery Highly Technical Jul 14, 2011
    Here's a real doozy for you engineer types... Highly Technical Nov 13, 2010
    Verifying Video Type Highly Technical Jul 29, 2004

3. Peter

Peter Elite Member

These days it's analog .7V swing RGB with separate H and V sync lines, plus an I2C-ish data channel for plug&play.

Component is not RGB.

4. Bassyhead

Bassyhead Diamond Member

You might get more responses in a different forum.

5. ajf3

ajf3 Platinum Member

Did the same thing for this past superbowl... 16 foot diagonal!!!

Anyway, I was suprised to find that you can carry a VGA signal over CAT5... here's a tutorial on how to make the cable and pinouts for the adapter. I soldered one up myself to take the component from the hd-box to the vga on the projector.

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/vgacable.html