What type of technology are registers based on?

chrstrbrts

Aug 12, 2014
Hello,

Are registers based on SRAM, DRAM, or some other type of semi-conductor technology?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Wall Street

Mar 28, 2012
SRAM is made of flip-flops - and registers are based on that tech too. You wouldn't say that registers are made out of SRAM because the acronym SRAM refers to random access memory and registers do not fill this role.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
SRAM is made of flip-flops - and registers are based on that tech too. You wouldn't say that registers are made out of SRAM because the acronym SRAM refers to random access memory and registers do not fill this role.

No.

This is a SRAM bitcell:
250px-SRAM_Cell_(6_Transistors).svg.png

This is a (kind of) flip-flop:
DoubA.gif

SRAM is most certainly not made of flip-flops.

Last edited:

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
SRAM is based on flip flops.

The above is a CMOS cell SRAM. It's just laid out as transistors rather than logic gates. A nand gate is just two transistors plus voltage control resistors.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005

The above is a CMOS cell SRAM. It's just laid out as transistors rather than logic gates. A nand gate is just two transistors plus voltage control resistors.

I assure you, a back to back inverter with drive lines (the SRAM cell) is NOT a flip-flop. I could draw both in transistors if you wanted, but maybe we're disagreeing on terminology? When anyone (at least in industry that I've met) says "SRAM" they mean a bunch of SRAM cells in an array, where each cell is a latch with some write and read transistors, not a flop-flop. When you're talking about the size of storage you need for a function on a given chip, it's flops OR SRAM. For a register file you could use either, but flops are getting more common I think.

Look up 6T/8T SRAM cells. No one refers to that as a flip-flop. =/

Last edited:

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002

A standard design CMOS 2-input NAND gate is 4 transistors only.

And at least in my workplace, we view SRAMs and flip flops as two completely different things.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
An inverter is basically a NAND with both lines coupled. When you put two in series it becomes an AND.

AND - 2 NAND gates in series
OR - 2 NAND gates into a NAND
INV - NAND

I'm not a pro at this and this is from college 30 years ago.

The way I see it a sram cell is not a full latch it's kind of an optimized version of a latch. Replacing some of the resistors with transistors and forgoing the gates needed for proper assignment from a bus.

I like the way this guy put it all together.

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/22130/various-memories/22135#22135

Thala

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2014
In our workspace we roughly distinguish (combinatorial) logic, registers (which could be either flip-flops or latches), clock-gates and SRAM.
The term registers is typically used in broader scope than just the CPU register file and refers to any kind of pipeline registers.

And while you can argue that both flip-flops and SRAM cells have 2 stable states driven by a feed-back, they are still completely different things. SRAM cells have a writeline (WL) input to enable either read or write using the same bitline (BL) as either input or output port, flip-flops have 2 separate ports for input and output and (typically) enable/clock input.

Last edited:

sefsefsefsef

Jun 21, 2007
I think people are getting confused by the terms "register" and "register file" in this topic. I thought it was pretty clear that the OP was referring to register files, which are absolutely made out of SRAM. The average computer enthusiast will maybe have some knowledge of the existence of the architected (and renamed) register file, but they probably won't know/care about the existence of other registers in the system. Register files are randomly accessible memory made out of flip flops, i.e., they are SRAMs.

Am I missing anything important there?

Last edited:

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah what registers are we talking about here? I assumed it was the CPU registers that you could use to store information, such as in assembly when you use a command such as: move eax, ebx

Nothingness

Platinum Member
Jul 3, 2013
I think people are getting confused by the terms "register" and "register file" in this topic. I thought it was pretty clear that the OP was referring to register files, which are absolutely made out of SRAM. The average computer enthusiast will maybe have some knowledge of the existence of the architected (and renamed) register file, but they probably won't know/care about the existence of other registers in the system. Register files are randomly accessible memory made out of flip flops, i.e., they are SRAMs.

Am I missing anything important there?
Yes, reg files are not using SRAM for many reasons (latency, multiple accesses,,etc.). See this for instance: http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/72418/is-the-registry-file-made-from-sram

No design I have worked on in the past 15 years, from embedded to OoO engines, uses SRAM for reg files.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
The two circuits above are basicaly the same with the difference that :

SRAM store the value using mosfets input capacitance, wich mandate a periodic refresh..

Flip flop has an internal positive feedback loop, using two serialized inverters, to store the value, this has the advantage that a read is not destructive and refresh is not necessary, also the feedback loop increase the speed at wich the device stored state can be changed.

Edit : in the pic below the inverters are each no more than two complementary transistors.

DoubA.gif

Last edited:

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
I think you're thinking of DRAM. SRAM also has a positive feedback loop to store values.

Confirming this.

Just to reiterate, although flip-flops are certainly "static" devices with inverter<->inverter positive feedback loops, they are not called SRAM. In industry SRAM refers very specifically to 6T/8T type bitcells with write and bit lines and auxillary circuitry like sense amps and sometimes fancy under/over supply voltage stuff to improve writability/stability of the bitcells. SRAM bitcells also have an inverter<->inverter feedback loop to store their values.

Flip-flops are edge sensitive (they have two feedback loops back to back), whereas SRAM cells are level sensitive with only one loop (looks like a latch). Also, flip-flops don't require external analogy circuits to function.

Today, registers and "register files" most often refer to flip-flops, and SRAM is used for larger memory arrays like an L1 or L2 cache where the extra analogy circuitry becomes a small part of the overall area compared to the bitcells in the array.

Hopefully the OP clarifies his question.

Last edited: