What type of DDR2 should I get for high performance applications/services?

Mondoman

Jan 4, 2008
It won't matter, since the FSB limits RAM throughput. As long as you're running your RAM in dual-channel mode, and are running the memory bus at a speed so its throughput matches or exceeds the FSB's throughput, you're fine. If you are not OCing, your FSB datarate is 1066MHz, so running RAM at DDR2-533 will be fine. If you are OCing to a 1333MHz FSB datarate, then run your RAM at DDR2-667 speed.
What *will* make a big difference is to upgrade to faster hard drives, such as Raptors, and to use a separate drive for the OS vs for the database.

JohnVM

May 25, 2004
So I don't need ram over 667Mhz? How about latencies? Some 667's have lower latencies than others.

Also, what's the point of like 1000mhz ram then? Just for OC'ers?

Mondoman

Jan 4, 2008
Lower latencies are always better, but in practice, as with superfast RAM, don't make much of a noticeable difference. Given the cheap prices of RAM these days, I would get DDR2-800 RAM (rated at 1.8-1.9V).
As long as you have enough RAM, the biggest factors affecting perceived user speed are CPU core speed and hard disk speed. Unfortunately, superfast hard disks for consumer systems are a bit thin on the ground. Raptors aren't bad, but if you can afford a SCSI controller and 15k rpm SCSI drives, you'll have a snappy system.

Mondoman

Jan 4, 2008
The Mushkin ($88 after rebate) looks good. I'd stick with memory that (a) has heat spreaders and (b) is rated at 1.8V, not higher.