what trick to teach puppy?

Semidevil

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2002
so I have a 10 week old corgi. She is pretty good with Sit, give hand, and stand commands.

want to continue teaching her simple tricks. what do you guys suggest. please also include instructions that were successful for you and your pup.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
Teach her how to poop on command. It's a great way to get rid of uninvited guests.

So is teaching it to lick jam off your nuts.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: PottedMeat
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
Teach her how to poop on command. It's a great way to get rid of uninvited guests.

So is teaching it to lick jam off your nuts.

Leave your love life out of this.

MagicConch

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2005
shake hands (both), fetch, roll over, lay down, teach her to swim (it's not hard when they are young) ,etc

KoolDrew

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Originally posted by: MagicConch
shake hands (both), fetch, roll over, lay down, teach her to swim (it's not hard when they are young) ,etc

That's why I wish we got my dog when he was a puppy. No matter how hard we try, he won't go into the water and swim.

gar3555

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
my brother taught his dog to play dead when he "shoots" him. He points his finger at the dog and says bang bang, and the dog lays down and rolls. Kind of entertaining...

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Teach the dog all the same tricks, but with hand signals. I did that with my dog, and it is really nice not having to bark a command while in a conversation with someone. Just snap your fingers to get attention, and give the signal. My dog is now better with hand signals than voice commands. It's a useful and impressive "trick"

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
my dog does: sit, lay down, shake, high five (just a slight variation on shake where I put my hand up instead of just out), high 10, dance (where she jumps around on her hind legs and paws with her front), 360 (1 full spin), roll over, and speak.

360 and high 10 are crowd pleasers, we just reward her with her normal food. Apparantly she is smart enough to do tricks but not smart enough to realize I am not giving her anything she couldn't go get out of her dish anytime. Oh well.

The cute sneaky devil herself
1 year old Havanese

edit: I taught her with hand and voice at the same time, now almost all of them she can recognize and do with either hand or voice, it is nice to be able to get your dog to do them with hand signals only.

sandmanwake

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
A guy I knew in college taught his dog to sniffed people's butt on command. He'd take the dog out walking and as soon as he saw a girl he wanted to talk to he'd give the command and the dog would "get away" from him and sniff the girl's butt. He'd come running up and apologize while the girl would say how it was ok and what a cute dog he had. It served as a pretty decent ice breaker apparently. Not sure how he trained it to do that though.