What to update next for my gaming PC?

bpmasher

Mar 19, 2016
Hey,

New to these forums. I've been looking at GPU updates but deemed it unnecessary for now, as I'm running a GTX 780 with a small monitor (19") and low resolution (1280 x 1024 max).

I have an Intel i5 4670k Haswell processor running at stock speed (3,4ghz), and 8 gigs of memory. I have a regular 7200rpm HDD. My current case is too small to install a new cooler for my processor for overclocking, but I might be willing to buy a new one.

What should I upgrade next to be able to play this and next (two) years games at 60fps? I run The Division on my TV at 720p and my monitor at about 50-75 fps currently, so I'm pretty happy with the performance I'm getting with such a new game, but I'm aware that many next gen games will be pushing my specs to their limit. What next?

Feb 19, 2009
Definitely monitor first and foremost, get a 24' 1080p for cheap.

GTX 780 is still fine, give it an OC and it should handle most new games at 1080p okay. You can upgrade the GPU when Pascal or Polaris arrive, it will give you a few years of top gaming at 1080p.

Also add another 8GB memory stick.

Down the road, a better cooler to OC your CPU. Haswell quad core at above 4ghz is going to be very strong for the next 5 years. ;)

And a SSD! :)

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Monitor. Since you're a TV gamer I recommend a large Korean 4k monitor.
You can still run at 1080p but you have upgrade room and freesync which is crucial.

Then I'd get Polaris 10.

casiofx

Mar 24, 2015
Get at least 1080p monitor and an 240GB SSD.

One of the biggest upgrade i had on my pc is the SSD, the responsiveness and speed is addicting

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Like if you're a TV gamer you literally need a new TV if you're stuck at 720p to experience next gen gaming. Not having a good monitor sucks. I have a tv and a projector and trust me, you want a freesync monitor. It's such a step up and a monitor is the largest investment you make.

I'd get a good 40 inch or I'd splurge for the 55 inch.

But without the proper viewing equipment there is no point in having good hardware.

bpmasher

Mar 19, 2016
OK so a new monitor then, first.

I don't know about overclocking my card. Would it need a new cooler? I've got a MSI card with "Twinfrozr" cooler. Would that suffice for the OC?

I'm new to overclocking.

Feb 19, 2009
OK so a new monitor then, first.

I don't know about overclocking my card. Would it need a new cooler? I've got a MSI card with "Twinfrozr" cooler. Would that suffice for the OC?

I'm new to overclocking.

That's a good model 780, it should OC real well. Just read up some simple guides on Kepler OC, which is pretty noob-proof really.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
At that rise your set. No need upgrading anything right now. Actually the best thing you caon do ois go SSD . That you would tell a difference.big difference... ride off that high then get a 080 GTX , Pascal GPU

bpmasher

Mar 19, 2016
Got a 1080p 24 inch monitor with 1ms lag. A HUGE difference in how the games look and play. Started AC4 Black Flag again just to experience the graphics anew, and it is smooth as silk even with 1080p and it looks as sharp as a picture. I'll have to replay some games with this new monitor just to appreciate the graphics again :)

Although my FPS in The Division dropped somewhat it still runs at 55 FPS or more after I tweak the settings a bit. The detail is tremendous when compared to my old monitor or my TV.

Good thing I asked.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Next up: SSD!

You will see as much improvement in overall system feel as you just did for graphics detail on the new monitor.

Once you go SSD you'll never, ever go back.