What to take to China?

wiredspider

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
I'm leaving for Guangzhou in about 3 weeks and still haven't started packing yet :eek:.

I've read they don't have floss or deodorant, so I guess I'll bring those along with toothpaste and a toothbrush because it's weird or has antifreeze in China....

And I really want to bring some good stuff for gifts, I'm visiting my grandma, aunt, and a little cousin (the 10 year old). Not sure what might be some good things as 90% of the stuff here is from China to begin with :laugh:. My mom hasn't been much help even though she went there recently, she told me to bring jello! I'm sure they have jello in china, plus Chinese grass jelly stuff is better anyhow.

I'm also going for about a month, should I get any insurance?

Other stuff I'll bring
Laptop
-Blank DVDs, the China stuff my mom brought back from a photo CD seemed kinda sh*tty
-Headset with mic
Digital camera/camcorder
Unlocked cell phone with China sim and US sim (are Cell phones cheap in China?)
Ipod or the cheap $5 RCA mp3 player instead

sunscreen?
lotion?
bug spray?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
How about some kind of cheap-ass "Made in China" USA souvenir?

RallyMaster

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2004
bring good chocolate. chinese people like chocolate. and pistachios. lots and lots of pistachios.

and bring back my girlfriend will ye? she's in Shanghai at the moment and the fools won't let her board. :(

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Don't know what you can do for gifts... China is the land of gifts. Never heard anyone ask for anything to be brought over. Guess you could bring something genuine or candy they don't sell there.

potoba

Oct 17, 2006
Originally posted by: wiredspider
I'm leaving for Guangzhou in about 3 weeks and still haven't started packing yet :eek:.

I've read they don't have floss or deodorant, so I guess I'll bring those along with toothpaste and a toothbrush because it's weird or has antifreeze in China....

And I really want to bring some good stuff for gifts, I'm visiting my grandma, aunt, and a little cousin (the 10 year old). Not sure what might be some good things as 90% of the stuff here is from China to begin with :laugh:. My mom hasn't been much help even though she went there recently, she told me to bring jello! I'm sure they have jello in china, plus Chinese grass jelly stuff is better anyhow.

I'm also going for about a month, should I get any insurance?

Other stuff I'll bring
Laptop
-Blank DVDs, the China stuff my mom brought back from a photo CD seemed kinda sh*tty
-Headset with mic
Digital camera/camcorder
Unlocked cell phone with China sim and US sim (are Cell phones cheap in China?)
Ipod or the cheap $5 RCA mp3 player instead

sunscreen?
lotion?
bug spray?

tey do have floss and deodorant!!! they just dont use those..

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Imp
Don't know what you can do for gifts... China is the land of gifts. Never heard anyone ask for anything to be brought over. Guess you could bring something genuine or candy they don't sell there.</end quote></div>

"China is the land of gifts" - you got that right, the relatives will be expecting gifts. But most things you give, they can buy there for cheaper. Unless you spend a lot it's difficult to make 'em happy.

Chocolate is good. American chocolate is a lot richer than the typical stuff there so they'll appreciate it. Maybe load up on some brand name candy too because it'll be kind of exotic over there. Beyond that... I don't know, at least if you are limited to relatively inexpensive things.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
I'd say some american food (not that it's better, just something different) but it's a small wonder they let you wear clothes on a plane these days, I think food's out. Other than an electrical adapter if necessary, I can't really think of much. Maybe a um... what's that hand held nintendo thing called?

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
Originally posted by: TecHNooB
Bring back lots of tai yang bing. Give the 10 yr old a basketball.

aren't sun cakes more of a taiwanese thing?

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: RichieZ
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TecHNooB
Bring back lots of tai yang bing. Give the 10 yr old a basketball.</end quote></div>

aren't sun cakes more of a taiwanese thing?

I dunno. I don't really differentiate between taiwanese/chinese ~_~

<-- twinky

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
A Union Card!

hehe, I kid I kid

Chocolate or candy would be alright, but something longer lasting would be better. Like others said, finding something not "Made in China" is rather difficult these days. OTOH, where it's made may not really matter. Are they Well off or Poor? If Poor anything might be useful, if Well Off, then something "foreign" would have intrigue.

Chocolate/Candy can be given no matter what else you decide to give them.

re: toothpaste--I'd be surprised if they even know that there are issues with their Toothpaste. They might be insulted or appreciative of it. Could just slip it in with other things and not make a big deal out of it.

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
some fortune cookies, I bet they have never seen tho.

My dad would expect me to bring him a lot of made in US ginsengs, it is very suitable for your relatives.

get a wii for the 10 years old?

nod218

Nov 18, 2003
When my uncle went back, he bought a Genuine Full Grain Leather basketballs back for some kids. Just deflat them, and bring a pump and some needles. Depending on which part of Guangzhou it's pretty rural, i haven't been back in 15 year, but there were lots of mosquitoes ... so some bug spray would be good. Also some nice godiva or roche (forgot how to spell it, it's those in the gold foil balls) chocolates.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Maybe get some rookie cards of some of his favorite sports players?

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
You still have three weeks and you're worried about packing? :D I pack the night before for international flights! Is this your first time to China?? Are you departing on an international flight, or will you have flights within the US?

I'm often asked to bring Centrum Silver back to Taiwan for the grandparents. It seems to be a popular thing with the Chinese to have all these stupid supplements even though they eat fresh vegetables and meats and fish every day. You should ask your family if they have any specific requests. I usually do this with my cousins a couple of weeks before leaving.

I bring Bath and Body lotions and shower gels for my 20 and 30-something cousins and aunts (all of my cousins are girls). It's a big hit with them. They have The Body Shop in Taiwan, but it doesn't seem to be that popular. They love the Bath and Body stuff and ask for more all the time.

Although toothpaste, deodorant, floss, etc is totally available, it's not clear why you wouldn't bring your own. I mean, do you intend to go shopping for this stuff the day that you land, or would your plan be more along the lines of sharing deodorant with your auntie? If you like a certain shampoo and/or soap, I'd bring that too. Doesn't everyone else do this??

If you're flying coach/economy, then you might consider bringing a hair brush and toothbrush in your carry-on. You can carry a small tube of toothpaste onboard, but airport security won't let you take liquids, pastes, gels, or creams larger than 100mL into the gate area even for international departures. If you're flying one of the higher classes, they'll give you a grooming kit and you can skip carrying yours onboard if you'd like.

Insurance is probably overkill unless your worth a whole lot to someone (and then you probably already have life insurance). If you're talking about travel insurance... I dunno. I fly overseas to visit the family two or three times a year and I've never bought it. Asian carriers are a lot better than the American ones and I've only had one late flight in about twenty (in the past five years) that was the fault of the Asian airline. My luggage has been delayed (showed up in a later flight) twice, but the airline delivered it to the house the next day in both cases.

I carry my iPod and a decent point and shoot digital camera with me all over Asia. I carry it on the plane in my laptop bag. The airlines often don't cover electronics lost in checked baggage. I feel pretty safe all over Asia, I've never been messed with, and I've never lost anything... but I'm also a big and scary looking guy.

It's going to be hot as all hell and probably humid in that region. Pack clothes accordingly. I don't know what the deal in that region is, but it's very rare to see a lot of people in Taiwan wearing shorts even in the south and even when it's very hot and humid. It might not be the same in Guangzhou.

wiredspider

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
Thanks for all the info, especially all the details from Rumpltzer.

It's my first time to China alone, when there when I was like a year old before with my mom.
I'm leaving from Philly International to Dulles then to Beijing then Guangzhou. Since my first flight is really a domestic flight, do I just need to arrive the domestic 2 hours earlier or should I arrive the 3 hours international early?

I am taking some American Ginseng, getting some of the chocolate stuff (but mom said it's hot and will melt..). Not sure if my aunt wants my little cousin glued to a game system and I can't even find a wii for me! However, when in doubt, ca$h is king!

And the part of Guangzhou I'm going to should be fairly modern or so I hope... They have public pay toilets, which apparently also charge for toilet paper...:Q

Flammable

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2007
Originally posted by: wiredspider
Thanks for all the info, especially all the details from Rumpltzer.

It's my first time to China alone, when there when I was like a year old before with my mom.
I'm leaving from Philly International to Dulles then to Beijing then Guangzhou. Since my first flight is really a domestic flight, do I just need to arrive the domestic 2 hours earlier or should I arrive the 3 hours international early?

I am taking some American Ginseng, getting some of the chocolate stuff (but mom said it's hot and will melt..). Not sure if my aunt wants my little cousin glued to a game system and I can't even find a wii for me! However, when in doubt, ca$h is king!

And the part of Guangzhou I'm going to should be fairly modern or so I hope... They have public pay toilets, which apparently also charge for toilet paper...:Q

depends on time of flight and whether rush hour or airport will be packed for whatever reason. My flight to guangzhou from boston leaves at 12 so im planning on arriving to the airport at around 9:30-10

Flammable

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2007
also make two photocopies of your passport. one for your parents and one in a separate compartment from your passport just in case :p