What to put on a RAM disk?

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by Jskid, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Jskid

Jskid Member

I am asking this question on behalf of someone else:

What can I put on a RAM disk?

Right now, I have Chrome's browser cache and noticed a SIGNIFICANT difference in the speed of page loads.

Can anything from Mathematica be put on the RAM disk?

Also, I would like to add:

I have my RAM disk set for 1GB but can increase it to 2GB. I have 8GBs installed and my paging file set to 50MB in the RAM disk. Many people say you don't need to a paging file on the RAM disk but that you do need one (of course there is dissent with people saying you don't). Hence, I only set it 50MBs. The system is Windows 7 x64.

I also have the TMP and TEMP files set to the RAM disk as well.

Any advice on what more I could add or paging file information would be much appreciated.

Dustin.

I can set up a paging file on my C drive. The recommendation is 1.5 times the total ram so in my case 12gb. Should I set it up on the C drive then?

Do you know of anything else I could put on the RAMdisk from Mathematica, Adobe, or anything else?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - disk Forum Date
    Basic disk install Memory and Storage Feb 4, 2017
    AN INTERESTING DEVELOPMENT: Migrating my new SKYLAKE to NVMe.M.2 system disk Memory and Storage Jan 30, 2017
    SSD M.2 Showing In Disk Management But Not In Bios Memory and Storage Jan 21, 2017
    New Intel RST RAID 10 rebuildling but no disks are failed Memory and Storage Jan 13, 2017
    When will SSD's replace spinning disks for mass storage? Memory and Storage Jan 12, 2017

3. FishAk

FishAk Senior member

If you think about it, the computer will page files when it runs out of memory, so segregating a portion of memory to catch memory overflow is a never ending circle.

W7 does a pretty good job of managing memory. It will use all you give it, allowing your system to run smoothly. So with only 8GB, you shouldn't use a fake RAM disk that uses your system memory. If you get a real RAM disk, into which you insert additional memory modules, that's a different story. But for the price, an SSD would still be faster and cheaper. A RAM disk needs to be filled from another source.

#2 FishAk, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  4. jjmIII

jjmIII Diamond Member

Some much ramdisk talk latley. Who is really using one?

With the help of an SSD, Win7 handles my ram just fine..
    Isn't an SSD really just a big 'ramdisk'?

5. FishAk

FishAk Senior member

Set your page file to 16MB min. and a larger max value. The page file can only grow, and will never shrink till you reboot.

Before you shutdown, make a note of the size of your page file. This is the size that was required during your session. If it is still 16MB, you know your system didn't page more than the Min. allocated to it.

After a few experiments, you will know what is the right maximum size for your use habits.

6. Jskid

Jskid Member

anything else?

7. boochi

boochi Senior member

A really slow ramdisk.:D

8. corkyg

corkyg Elite Member<br>Super Moderator <br>Peripherals
    Super Moderator

Win 7 uses a RAM disk during the installation process. After that, it is sort of yesterday's news.

9. Lorne

Lorne Senior member

I use one all the time, But its the work I do that needs it.
    Though I use Win7/64 I use alot of older editing and client software that cannot use more then 2Gigs of memory (ie Photoshop 7) and even a SSD is really slow when your paging out several 250+Meg PSD compared to 3GBps ramdrive.

YOu could set a small one up for the system and have it overflow onto the HD, This adds alot of snap untill the system is fully loaded up, But other then that dont see a use for one.

10. dguy6789

dguy6789 Diamond Member

A ramdisk is almost completely useless in Windows Vista or Windows 7 because of superfetch.

11. XLNC

XLNC Senior member

I think there is entirely too much opinion and not enough hard facts when it comes to RAM disks. We need another round of RAM disk benchmarks like in the mid 2000s. Average memory configurations have grown from 1-2GB then to 8-24GB now, which changes their scope of applications drastically. People have extra RAM and want to know what to do with it.

I think Anandtech should consider revisiting RAM disks for a full length article. Few things I'd like to see addressed (quelled):
    - Page file on RAM disk: To me it sounds like a bad idea on the surface, but it comes up ALL the time. I don't know enough about how Windows or other applications use the page file, and I bet most here don't either. We're all guessing.
    - Superfetch makes RAM disk useless: This is such a blanket statement that it's bound to be false. The usefulness of a RAM disk has to be entirely dependent upon.... what it's used for. Still, I'd like to see this explored. Superfetch vs. RAM disk.
    - SSD is similar to RAMdisk: The raw numbers for the two aren't even close, but what about real world results for applications?
    - Enterprise applications: There has to be a ton of applications on the enterprise side. Can it be reliable enough to make it work?

I think we should save opinions for the politics forum and benchmark all things computers to death.

12. Nothinman

Nothinman Elite Member

No, RAM disks are only really worth it in odd corner cases for things that you truly don't care at all about. Anything else and pay for it in other areas, like waiting for the system to load the data to/from the RAM disk on bootup which is what SuperFetch would handle for you anyway.

Not even benchmarks, just a good explanation of how Windows memory management works and why RAM disks are mostly useless these days.

A number of us have tried explaining why it's a bad idea, but most people here ignore things they don't want to hear.

I'm sure it's false in some circumstances, but it's true in the general sense. SuperFetch's whole purpose is to monitor your usage patterns and preload what you use before you need it to reduce I/O. AFAIK no RAM disk has that ability.

But the speed feeling is similar enough for people to relate the two. But unless an SSD can be addressed directly like memory and does XIP (not even sure if most Windows RAM disks do XIP) they're not very similar and solve two different problems with their own sets of drawbacks.

To me, the only word Enterprise means huge, expensive and shitty. It's usually some ugly Java front-end to a half dozen or more previously unrelated apps all duct taped together to give the illusion of cohesiveness.

13. Lorne

Lorne Senior member

Agree.

My use is just a freak thing to assert brute force LARGE temp saves and its only a small fix for outdated software.
    I cant think of any reason to use it otherwise.