What to look for in a Fast & Small (USB boot) SD card or USB stick?

virtuality

Mar 22, 2013
To clarify: I don't want to buy the biggest. For booting up Linux distros from USB you don't need a big one. I do not necessarily want to buy the absolute fastest, either. It costs a high premium I don't necessarily need.

In fact, I am not looking for advice on how to select my price/speed/size ratio; I have already figured that out. (I also have to add here if I buy the smallest size in a series it has usually half the speed as double the size from the same series. I can deal with that; but the bottom line is: I want to pay for speed, not size.)

The question here is how to locate a good brand, a good series in a good brand, you name it. I know there are some so called more reputable brands in this field like SanDisk and Lexar (isn't Toshiba is the same as Sandisk?) and more. But how about upcoming brands, like Kingston? (Sorry if I wrongly categorized the above brands; I read about these on the Internet; so it must be true) Or any of the 100 other brands?

This is a field where I simply cannot trust the number and quality of Amazon reviews (not much here and they are not statistically significant). (If I were shopping for a big storage expansion for my smart phone, that would be easy; the market is in those slightly slower and bigger cards; many reviews)

Actually, I'd rather use an SD card or micro SC card over a USB stick with an adapter for booting (they haven't invented SD card booting yet, right?, and without, for general use. It's multi-purpose and for a strange reason SD cards come with an industry standard of lifetime warranty, compared to 5 years on USB sticks for the same technology(?). Not that these things last so long, I still prefer SD cards for this very reason just because.

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I would assume you would be bottle necked at the USB interface side itself unless ur booting from USB3.0

The SD cards may give u better write speeds.
I know there are a few which can write well over 30mb/s for high resolution cameras.
However for read speed, im willing to guess both will top about the same.

ignatzatsonic

Nov 20, 2006
I'd give quite a bit of consideration to warranty

In my experience, USB sticks are not particularly durable and you may need to RMA.

Unless of course, you are buying items worth under say $10 where you'd just throw the thing in the garbage if it failed.

I'm not sure about all brands, but I do know that a lot (all?) of Kingston USB sticks have a 5 year warranty and that their RMA process is acceptable---you call, read off some miniscule batch and lot numbers from the drive, mail it in for maybe $4, and wait a week.

There's a lot of variation from model to model within a brand, so you may have to do some experimentation.

I don't have any reason to believe that higher priced sticks are more durable.