What to do?

QurazyQuisp

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2003
I have a second round interview for a software engineering internship in Mountain View on Friday the 21st of March. I fly into San Jose Thursday at about 5 PM Thursday. I am staying at the Clarion near the airport on Thursday night.

Does anyone have any recommendations to fill up my free time? My interview isn't until noon on Friday so I do not have to worry about getting to bed early.

I won't have a rental so I'll need things I can do that are accessible by public transportation. I'm not 21 yet. (I have 4 months to go)

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: QurazyQuisp
I have a second round interview for a software engineering internship in Mountain View on Friday the 21st of March. I fly into San Jose Thursday at about 5 PM. I am staying at the Clarion near the airport on Thursday night.

Does anyone have any recommendations to fill up my free time? My interview isn't until noon on Friday so I do not have to worry about getting to bed early.

I won't have a rental so I'll need things I can do that are accessible by public transportation. I'm not 21 yet. (I have 4 months to go)

Disclaimer: It's been a couple of years since I've been there so mileage variances, and all that...
The Public Transportation has gotten better so the hotel should be able to hook you up as far as specifics.
There are lots of eateries downtown and there is the Tech Museum.
Great America needs to be done after you get the job. Gotta have goals.
Get on CalTrain, take the 1 hr+/- ride up to SF and prowl like a tourist.
While on the train, you will pass Stanford, Palo Alto and all the wonders :confused: the Penninusla holds.

Good Luck widdat

QurazyQuisp

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2003
Originally posted by: AlienCraft
I have a second round interview for a software engineering internship in Mountain View on Friday the 21st of March. I fly into San Jose Thursday at about 5 PM. I am staying at the Clarion near the airport on Thursday night.

Disclaimer: It's been a couple of years since I've been there so mileage variances, and all that...
The Public Transportation has gotten better so the hotel should be able to hook you up as far as specifics.
There are lots of eateries downtown and there is the Tech Museum.
Great America needs to be done after you get the job. Gotta have goals.
Get on CalTrain, take the 1 hr+/- ride up to SF and prowl like a tourist.
While on the train, you will pass Stanford, Palo Alto and all the wonders :confused: the Penninusla holds.

Good Luck widdat

While looking at the hotel's website, they said the light rail station is right next to the hotel. ($1.75/ adult?) I've been to SF once before, but with my family about 5 years ago or so.

I suppose I should for something fun to do if I do decide to take the train.

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
how are you planning to get from SJC to MV?

Not that much to do in manjose, you can take the caltrain up to SF but it stops running relatively early.

Anyways good luck, I am just about to switch jobs to a startup in mountain view. Getting out of consulting for good

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Realistically, I'm not sure how much you'll get done between 6 PM and 12 AM with no car on a Thursday night. The museums probably close around the time you arrive... Unless you just want to explore, I'd just bring a couple DVDs for the laptop and get a good night's sleep.

QurazyQuisp

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2003
Originally posted by: RichieZ
how are you planning to get from SJC to MV?

Not that much to do in manjose, you can take the caltrain up to SF but it stops running relatively early.

Anyways good luck, I am just about to switch jobs to a startup in mountain view. Getting out of consulting for good

The company I'm interviewing with has setup all the transportation/accommodation needs for me. Supposedly there will be some type of car/bus/whatever waiting for me at 11:30 at the hotel to head to MV.

QurazyQuisp

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2003
I think what I may end up doing is take the train in to SF and grab dinner and head back. I know it's not much and sort of a waste of 2 hours, but it'll beat sitting in my room all night. I get a good amount of money to spend on food so I might as well use it.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
I think what I may end up doing is take the train in to SF and grab dinner and head back. I know it's not much and sort of a waste of 2 hours, but it'll beat sitting in my room all night. I get a good amount of money to spend on food so I might as well use it.
Just make sure you know what time the last train leaves SF.
Check to see if the Hotel has a shuttle from SFO. If they do, you'll be able to stay in SF until the BART's last train to SFO. Then, just call the hotel from the phone.
Instant back up for missing the last CalTrain home to SJ.

QurazyQuisp

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2003
Check to see if the Hotel has a shuttle from SFO. If they do, you'll be able to stay in SF until the BART's last train to SFO. Then, just call the hotel from the phone.

I'm actually flying into San Jose. I'll double and triple check before I get on the train, but when looking at the caltrain's website the last southbound train on the week days leaving SF is at 12:01 AM.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002

I'm actually flying into San Jose. I'll double and triple check before I get on the train, but when looking at the caltrain's website the last southbound train on the week days leaving SF is at 12:01 AM.
Cool It sounds like it coincides with BART's last run as well. Ok then, Party Like Cinderella , then.

Your coach turns into a pumpkin at midnight.