what to do with spare SSD

strike101

Apr 28, 2006
I have an old 128gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD lying around , any advice on what to do with it ? aside from setting it as my primary OS drive.

i was thinking about setting it as a Virtual Memory or Pagefile drive , or maybe a readyboost drive , but i've seen topics about it wearing down the drive much faster

any advice ? thanks

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
It's an 840, 128gb, unless you have some mission critical need for it, just use it for play and testing, like you're suggesting.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Put it in a USB 3.0 enclosure.

Install VirtualBox or VMware on the PC.

Create virtual machines on the SSD drive and do some OS testing from it.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
put it in a usb 3.0 enclosure.
Download the HP usb tool.
format drive in FAT32.

Use it has a MP3 drive for your car.

Reactions: corkyg

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Put it in a USB 3.0 enclosure.
Use it as a portable Linux drive?

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
A tiered storage space or cache for a mechanical drive is what I do with those these days :) you will want to make sure that its firmware is up to date first as those models had a problem with reading and need periodic conditioning in newer firmware before you put it to use!

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
A tiered storage space or cache for a mechanical drive is what I do with those these days :) you will want to make sure that its firmware is up to date first as those models had a problem with reading and need periodic conditioning in newer firmware before you put it to use!

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Yes -- definitely a use for a dedicated, undersized SATA SSD. Get your 1 or 2TB HDD -- bigger as you might prefer -- and install them. If desired, put the OS on the HDD -- otherwise, all the file collections of different usages or size range.

Get your OS and system all tuned up so it makes you feel proud. IF you want to spend some money, find a matching set of 16GB or otherwise increase the size of your memory as you're inclined or not to pay. People using a 16GB kit might be able to allocate 4 to 6GB for caching.

But with or without the extra RAM, you could optionally spend ~$30 on Romex PrimoCache 3.02. And before you do that, you'd have a 60-day trial period. There's a forum and tech support interacting with the forum.

If you have a reliable UPS powering your PC, you can enable deferred writes, which will then blow away the benchies for the standalone storage device Random Writes benchie. You can "Restore existing cache to RAM" from a Restart or fresh boot, and have it take effect immediately "On Windows bootup" or upon desktop display. you can define separate read and write caches for a particular HDD on the SSD. Basically, while you might only use the SSD-caching feature, with enough RAM you could have two-tiered caching. The Primo 3.02 version seems to make all of these things work quite well.

But I would use a 128GB SSD for caching if I didn't have a system allowing me to use a 250GB NVME M.2 PCI-E x4 for caching. I've really been doing disk caching since the Z68 chipset and ISRT in IRST. The proprietary options in Intel SRT, Marvell Hyper-Duo, or even Samsung's RAPID for caching an SATA SSD to RAM -- don't allow you to do some combinations of devices and caching, have conflicting configuration requirements, and are unnecessary in my opinion when compared to the software option of PrimoCache. This latter alternative as "lifetime license per machine" is agnostic to hardware, RAID or AHCI configurations. I can use it to cache a RAID on a Marvell controller to a device on the Intel controller. And I don't remember a piece of software so reliable or recoverable.