What to do with extra contact lenses?

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I bought 8 boxes of bi-weekly contact lenses 2 years ago, and lo and behold, I have 5 full, unopened boxes left because I use pairs for months at a time. I'm mid-20s and wasn't expecting my prescription to change much, but they did and I used a 2 year old prescription (at the time), so now it's even worse. Long story short, vision blurry at "far" (fine print at 10-20'), so I need to get new ones.

What the hell can I do with 5 boxes of perfectly good contact lenses? Anyone have some experience?

They're "medical devices", so I can't legally Craigslist them. I could just trash them since my job benefits paid for them, but really don't want to. The best part is I knew I wouldn't need more than 4 boxes for 2 years, and still let the optician talk me into it...

Also, the expiry date on those boxes say 2015.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
Save a box for when you accidentally run out of your new ones and need an emergency pair, trash the rest.

Nov 7, 2000
if they are not useful to you, then they are garbage. you would likely be a 'dangerous criminal' under retarded american drug laws if you gave or sold them to someone that could use them. (i assume our hat has similar laws - but not sure)

Last edited:

bobdole369

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2004
rcpratt is correct. Just keep 1 or 2 pairs in the factory seal in the off event you trash your last set or somehow are fucked without contacts one day. They'll let you see enough to drive and not run into shit.

Oh and next time just replace them every 2 months. It really feels better to get a new set in.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I called the store where I bought them, and they said that they'd "swap" them with my new prescription because they're sealed.

I'm cautiouslly optimistic as I said I had "a few" boxes and not 5. If they follow through, I'm getting a "free" 2-3 year supply.

Otherwise, I'll probably sit on the boxes. Might ask my optometrist if they take donations. Hope they trust me to not have injected eye blinding poison into the packages.

Sphere: -5.50, Cylinder: -0.50... or whatever myopia + astigmatism is.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Most eye doctors will just swap them if the boxes they came in are unopened. This can bite you in the ass if they had some sort of rebate, as you have to send them the UPC code, thus destorying the box... Just something to keep in mind :)

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
I called the store where I bought them, and they said that they'd "swap" them with my new prescription because they're sealed.

I'm cautiouslly optimistic as I said I had "a few" boxes and not 5. If they follow through, I'm getting a "free" 2-3 year supply.

Otherwise, I'll probably sit on the boxes. Might ask my optometrist if they take donations. Hope they trust me to not have injected eye blinding poison into the packages.

Sphere: -5.50, Cylinder: -0.50... or whatever myopia + astigmatism is.

Ah sucks. I'm -3.00 and -0.75. I am going to need some more soon. Anyone know a good place online??

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Most eye doctors will just swap them if the boxes they came in are unopened. This can bite you in the ass if they had some sort of rebate, as you have to send them the UPC code, thus destorying the box... Just something to keep in mind :)

Last time I did an AcuVue rebate I only had to send in two UPCs, one for the prescription for each eye, even though the rebate was for 8 boxes total.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000

...You asshole! :)

I just checked my boxes because I remember getting an $80 rebate for buying 8 boxes. Ya, they're all open except one! Crap, completely forgot. I'm more curious as to why one box is NOT open actually... Guess I only had to send in 6 or 7 box tops.

Okay, so I can swap one, which still leaves 5 boxes (so I had 6...).

Plan B is using the new prescription for my left eye (way worse) and using the old ones for my right eye (better... slightly). I'll try that until I hurl.