what to do with a dead laptop?

FAS284

Jan 25, 2002
my laptop died and the warranty is long over. i have a feeling something short-circuited on the mobo as it no longer starts up.. the power light comes on then goes off after a second when i try to turn it on. I'm not definite though .. bought the laptop for $500 and the replacement motherboard is $350 per manufacturer. What do you guys do with your dead laptops (beside tossing them in the trash or out the window)

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
Well considering the laptop's main entity is the motherboard, if this is at fault and you have no warranty, i would just hoof it into the bin.

There really isn?t anything worth salvaging other than RAM CPU and HDD.

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: compnovice
Check if individual parts are working and sell them on ebay....

exactly. I paid $50 for a plastic lid cover for mine when it broke because it was old and no one had OEM parts.

Kaervak

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
It may not be dead. I had something similar happen with my Inspiron 8200. Took it completely apart, put it back together and it's worked fine ever since. If you're up to it, try doing the same. If not, just eBay it for parts. You may get a good bit of money for it.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
ebay. if you can ebay for parts you'll get more. check the make of your screen, it may be compatible with other lappies, if it is, you'll get the most $$$ for that item.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: daveymark
ebay. if you can ebay for parts you'll get more. check the make of your screen, it may be compatible with other lappies, if it is, you'll get the most $$$ for that item.

Screen, RAM, HDD, CPU if removable, and battery. Then, ebay the remaining parts as a "grab bag"

aloser

Nov 20, 2004
So, since it doesn't work, youse guys recommend gutting it and sell it separately? Or is it worth more complete?

simms

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2001
Actually I was stupid and parted it out, when $150 may have gotten me a good Inspirion 5100.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: simms
Actually I was stupid and parted it out, when $150 may have gotten me a good Inspirion 5100.

wait. you parted your Insprion for $150? or you parted another Laptop for 150 and got yourself an Inspirion?

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: aloser
So, since it doesn't work, youse guys recommend gutting it and sell it separately? Or is it worth more complete?

worth more separately. Screen is worth the most. CPU/hd/ram/etc. can be sold together, you'll be in the same ballpark pricewise without the headaches of shipping every little thing.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
The other option - eBay, but not to sell. See if you can find a replacement motherboard there. Maybe you can find one fairly cheap and try to revive the laptop.