What to do when you don't get assigment?

Phru

Dec 3, 2006
I don't understand my Math assignment at all. It just hasn't clicked. I tried googling similar problems but i just don't understand it. It makes me hate math more every time this happens. Struggling in a subject I strongly dislike is no fun.

wtfbbq

Oct 17, 2005
reread book -> look online -> look for friends who know -> post question on online forum

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
I spent over an hour on 10 problems earlier tonight.. gave up and am going to go see the prof tomorrow morning.

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
Go to class a few minutes early or stay late and ask the teacher for help.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
you give it your best shot.
you look it up or look up the theory behind it.
if you don't get it you look it up more or look up the theory behind it more so you at least get what is being asked of you and what type of response is required.
if you still don't get it you find someone who might or actually does
if you still don't get it there is always the drive-through at mcdonald's...

FOR A SNACK YOU RETARD....HOW DARE YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT GIVING UP:|

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
I work with people that know it better than I and who can explain it in terms I can understand.

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003
When that happened to me I dropped the class. I had spent all weekend doing math homework and because I didn't really need the class anyway I decided getting an A in one class wasn't worth failing all of the others.

If quitting isn't an option then talk to the teacher. Get a tutor. If you're really behind in a few weeks, consider dropping back a level.

reverend boltron

Nov 18, 2004
If you are struggling with a new section, you should try going back and making sure that you understand the previous section. Sometimes that helps. Also, if you are really struggling with math, you should find out what aspects you are struggling with.

When I was tutoring people, I found that the ones who hated math the most were the ones who weren't very good with their times tables. So once they started doing better with those, they were getting more problems right. So once they started doing that, things started looking up for them because now they weren't constantly wrong.

I would honestly suggest looking into a tutor to help you out. Sometimes it can be hard to go in for extra help if you let it get to you. But the squeaky wheel gets the oil. If you don't speak up, you'll continue to get behind, and you'll just hate the subject more and more. Work on the fundamentals; you have to have a solid foundation if you want to build up. Otherwise you are just building your house on sand.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: reverend boltron
If you are struggling with a new section, you should try going back and making sure that you understand the previous section. Sometimes that helps. Also, if you are really struggling with math, you should find out what aspects you are struggling with.

When I was tutoring people, I found that the ones who hated math the most were the ones who weren't very good with their times tables. So once they started doing better with those, they were getting more problems right. So once they started doing that, things started looking up for them because now they weren't constantly wrong.

I would honestly suggest looking into a tutor to help you out. Sometimes it can be hard to go in for extra help if you let it get to you. But the squeaky wheel gets the oil. If you don't speak up, you'll continue to get behind, and you'll just hate the subject more and more. Work on the fundamentals; you have to have a solid foundation if you want to build up. Otherwise you are just building your house on sand.

As a fellow tutor I can't agree with you more:thumbsup:

SilentVixen

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2004
Originally posted by: Canai
I spent over an hour on 10 problems earlier tonight.. gave up and am going to go see the prof tomorrow morning.

PSH. How easily you give up. Sometimes ONE problem can take an hour!

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: SilentVixen

I HATE those problems...

hypn0tik

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
See sig.

Disclaimer: Will only help if you show me a reasonable attempt at the problem.

sadffffff

Jan 6, 2006
Originally posted by: Phru
I don't understand my Math assignment at all. It just hasn't clicked. I tried googling similar problems but i just don't understand it. It makes me hate math more every time this happens. Struggling in a subject I strongly dislike is no fun.

not getting a problem? whats that like?

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
just post it on ATOT and hope somebody helps you. If I know what to do I'll help, and if not maybe someoen else will.

thehstrybean

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
you look it up or look up the theory behind it.
if you don't get it you look it up more or look up the theory behind it more so you at least get what is being asked of you and what type of response is required.
if you still don't get it you find someone who might or actually does
if you still don't get it there is always the drive-through at mcdonald's...

FOR A SNACK YOU RETARD....HOW DARE YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT GIVING UP:|

Sounds like goose is a pro at this...

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

lmao, I spent 10 hours on 1 problem before; and there were 3 other problems left to do. NEVER say, "sounds like a great idea to me!" when a prof offers a take-home final exam in math. 4 problems... 50-something pages of work.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
had that problem in HS math. i had no fvcking clue what was going on so i just failed the class. i stupidly didn't ask for help. at one point i just didn't care and just slept through the class and told the teacher that i wasn't going to take the tests.

i don't recall him once ever asking me if i needed help or anything either

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: DrPizza

lmao, I spent 10 hours on 1 problem before; and there were 3 other problems left to do. NEVER say, "sounds like a great idea to me!" when a prof offers a take-home final exam in math. 4 problems... 50-something pages of work.

Yikes. What subject was the test in?

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: SilentVixen

Yeah, I love those. (Actually, no.)
Do THIS, then use that answer to solve something else, then use that to find this, then plot the answer on a graph, then use the graph for something else......

Originally posted by: DrPizza

How's the saying go? "There's always a catch."

Concerning the OP, depending on the level of the problem, I've used Purplemath.com for help, mainly for logarithms. We never got around to doing that in my algebra I and II classes in middle school and high school. Now in my various college level calc classes, we're finally getting around to log functions, and the teacher's reducing these things down and I'm totally clueless as to how logs work. I still haven't fully memorized how everything switches around to reduce logs to exponential format.