What to do when company expects you to pay twice for a game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
A few years back my wife bought a retail boxed CD copy of a kids learning game called "Itzabitza"

http://sabigames.com/kids-games/itzabitza/

It's basically a kids learning game where they draw things, and it helps them to learn to read, etc.

Since I tend to nuke my hard drive every few years and start over, we prefer to buy retail CD copy for ease of reinstalling.

This time around, my PC died completely, so I'm reinstalling everything. Trouble is, this game won't reinstall. Ok, actually it installs completely, but it won't run. It keeps asking me to enter the CD key from the CD sleeve, and then it tries to authenticate online, but fails.

When it failed, I found a lot of other people complaining about the same thing, because the retail CD version is still being sold on Amazon. My request to the company for a license file to allow us to install our full retail copy was met with a short email reply saying that the game was no longer supported, and we were out of luck. They suggested that we install STEAM and buy the game a second time.

I also found the company's stance laid out here:
http://sabigames.com/support/

Which again, basically says "we no longer activate old copies".... "we realize this is not ideal for you"..... and then directs us to STEAM so that they can have us purchase the same game again.

In the past, whenever there was a problem like this, (Bejeweled, for example, from Popcap), the company involved would release a workaround that let folks at least install their game properly.

Is there anything we can do, other than paying them twice, in order to get this working?

Asked and answered. Closing this before things get dicey.

Anandtech Moderator
KeithTalent

Last edited by a moderator:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Heh, going to just say, pirate it. Highly doubtful they will come after you.

While sure you could argue it's an old game and if you like it then buy it again, the way they handled it basically gives the impression they don't care and pointing people to Steam is in my book not a satisfactory process. I certainly would not give them more money.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
If you have a CD key, try activating the CD key on steam to see if Steam recognizes the key and enables the game in your library. I've done this with games that I bought outside of Steam but wanted to play them through Steam.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Ethically, you now have the right to pirate one copy.

"We no longer activate old copies that have a valid license, buy it again" is not an acceptable answer. In this case, they should be required to provide you with a Steam key.

They might even be legally required to do this, but good luck putting together a class action to get them to honor their obligation.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Which again, basically says "we no longer activate old copies".... "we realize this is not ideal for you"..... and then directs us to STEAM so that they can have us purchase the same game again.

Not only can you pirate, but there could well be grounds for a legal intervention if you wanted to take it though far.

Feb 4, 2009
I'd pirate it, I realize this is still illegal however even if caught I can't imagine a judge issuing any real penalty. I'd also shoot my Attorney General an email.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
pretty much this is the culmination of everyone's complaints about drm. Imagine this on a larger scale. The world would be in chaos, anarchy everywhere. Piracy sites rampant, devs on the streets chugging chode for sex money...horrendous.

MWink

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
This is just one of the reasons I despise DRM. I would never give a company like that a cent ever again. Practices like that are just plain unacceptable.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
I agree ethically, morally download it from somewhere else at this point.

If the company was any good they would allow you to submit a receipt for your steam purchase and along with proof of original purchase give you a refund of that amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.