what to do in this situation?

skim milk

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
So as interns at a leading financial firm, we were given the opportunity to apply to two programs. I played it safe and applied to the program that I'm in now (two different locations so I have already applied to 2 programs).... because it will give me the best chance of getting an offer for full time and I don't have to interview with anyone.

I got an e-mail just now, asking me if I applied to one of the other programs. I would really love to try going for this position but I was told a long time ago that if we apply to more than 2 programs, all of the applications would be cancelled.
I'm not sure why my name was on the list as one of the applicants but through a glitch in the system, you think I would be able to somehow say something to this head recruiter without jeopardizing my other two applications?
I can't help but think this might be the break that I've been looking for since I already have my foot in the door with this company and the head recruiter for the division just contacted me.
There's a good chance that I wouldn't even be interviewed but you never know

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Is this other position something you can move over to if you were to take the more conservative one?

If so, it's MUCH easier to move around inside a company once you're already there.

skim milk

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Platypus
Is this other position something you can move over to if you were to take the more conservative one?

If so, it's MUCH easier to move around inside a company once you're already there.

no, it's going to be difficult to move over to this position. They are different tracks, I prefer this one but it's selective. Maybe since I was an intern and we were given the internal application to apply for these other programs, I might have a better chance?

I'm thinking of sending her an email along these lines:

Hi,

It must have happened in error. I didn't apply to the program since we were limited to only two applications. However, is there a way I can be considered for this program because... something something something...

She might hate me since I might come across as trying to "bend the rules and work the system" and might be unfair to all the other interns who only applied to two places

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Well it seems like a binary choice.. you either roll the dice and gamble BOTH positions with the gain being the better position or you play it cool and get a guaranteed job. Since this is probably your first real job (assuming since you're an intern), I would play it safe personally and get your work experience.

I would take another approach and ask her for advice. Say that you've been thinking about it more and more and feel that Job Y might be a better fit for you than Job X.

It all depends on a few things... namely, who told you that submitting two applications would nullify your chances? If this woman is a recruiter, her sole job is to turn you into a new hire from an intern position. They've already invested the time and money into you and I highly highly doubt they're going to turn you away because of something trivial and waste all of the above.

The email will need to be extremely tactful and well written.. you need to sell yourself to her on why you think you would be a better candidate for Job Y.

If for any reason you have a real concern that you might lose Job X as a result, don't do it.. it's not worth it. Don't try and go around the system so to speak, use the proper channels.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
the only thing I know about financial internships was learned from 80's movies... so my advise is to risk everything... you may even get the girl in the end.

skim milk

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
Originally posted by: SirStev0
the only thing I know about financial internships was learned from 80's movies... so my advise is to risk everything... you may even get the girl in the end.

hahaha :D

I really do want to risk it all and just play it off like I did apply to that program. They want me to be aggressive right?