Question What to buy? Limited Budget. RTX 2060 or GTX 1070 Ti (Used/cheaper)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Looking to replace my good ole GTX 970, it has served me well for the past 3 years but its now time to upgrade and pass this baby on to a new owner. I was wondering what are the Pros or Cons between the RTX 2060 and the GTX 1070 ti? No interested on Ray Tracing and it won't be used (Maybe just tested to see what is about but I don't care for it) Just overall performance is about the same in both cards. The RTX 2060 out performs the GTX 1070ti on some aspects and vice versa.

I can save a few dollars on the GTX 1070 ti, but which one should I really get? RTX 2060 drops Tuesday next week.

Looking forward to the input. Looking to buy one in the next 2 weeks.

Thanks

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
Used not good enough. New vs new as it should be. 350 new for 1070Ti. If not then 2060. Anyways games no longer have much difference between medium and ultra let alone high and ultra.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Yes I've made threads about it but its a futile discussion where most people defend lower vram cards and prefer to suggest a card that's 10% faster instead, case in point rx570 8gb vs rx580 4gb.

Is there someone seriously suggesting a 4gb card in 2019? The biggest issue is if your going to replace a card in performance at least have the hardware of the previous card too.I don't think there has been any card like this one before.Faster then a 1070ti but we are dropping 2gb of vram for that.Now if the price of the 2060 was lower then i guess ok that would be fine but with its pricing that close to a 1070ti though?The vram of the 2060 is already a issue day one in BF5 using its selling point RTX.It's a bad joke.

Reminds me of COD BO4,you dump singleplayer but still want the same $60. Is this a new industry standard?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
You can indeed get EVGA FTW2 GTX 1070ti for $350 on eBay "Used" just not sure what to do yet. Going to have to wait until tomorrow (No big deal) To see the 2060 prices on release. Fingers Crossed
i recently paid less than that for a used 1080. hold out for better prices and ebay coupons.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
That is also what has annoyed me a lot. People not being able to see past the present and give dubious advice to buyers on the basis of current games and requirements overlooking that most people unlike themselves like to keep card for as long as possible.

Which makes it completely suck that the 2060 only has 6GB (in the best case). But I don't trust Nvidia to keep optimizing their drivers for Pascal at the level they will for Turing so I'm anticipating the 2060 will be the better card over the next 2-3 years vs the 1070 Ti.

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
My brother bought an new EVGA tripple slot 1070TI FTW "Silent Edition" that works great, is super cool and it was $309 and came with Monster hunter. That was in early December though and it looks like the landscape has changed a lot.

As long as you go with EVGA I'd look at a used 1070TI or 1080 assuming the price is right. It's a pretty terrible time to buy a GPU unless you're talking AMD 570/580 used for $80.

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
Can anyone help me find this card please? or any information as to when its coming out? This is the Model I want, can't find it anywhere.
AORUS RTX 2060 XTREME 6G
https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-C...QWrfbizvUeolhmIti2fBKU7doK3GHeSE3dYrlEFkiU#kf

I wouldn't purchase a gigabyte GPU. They have the absolute worst customer service and I had several cards fail on me last year each being a minimum 6 week turn around with one card taking six months to finally receive a replacement that was functional. If you browse Reddit you'll find the same exact experience from others with gigabyte GPUS.

EVGA or MSI for NVIDIA.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
I wouldn't purchase a gigabyte GPU. They have the absolute worst customer service and I had several cards fail on me last year each being a minimum 6 week turn around with one card taking six months to finally receive a replacement that was functional. If you browse Reddit you'll find the same exact experience from others with gigabyte GPUS.

EVGA or MSI for NVIDIA.
EVGA has horrible looking lineup for the 2060. MSI has one I really like but also can't find it anywhere (Help finding it maybe?) Its this one RTX 2060 Gaming Z. I have to have RGB and the only 2 models of the 2060 with RGB is the MSI Gaming Z and the Gigabyte I linked above.

I own a gigabyte motherboard the RMA process went well both times (User error on my behalf)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
EVGA has horrible looking lineup for the 2060. MSI has one I really like but also can't find it anywhere (Help finding it maybe?) Its this one RTX 2060 Gaming Z. I have to have RGB and the only 2 models of the 2060 with RGB is the MSI Gaming Z and the Gigabyte I linked above.

I own a gigabyte motherboard the RMA process went well both times (User error on my behalf)

It's the initial launch. If you can wait a few weeks, you'll have a lot more choices.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
It's the initial launch. If you can wait a few weeks, you'll have a lot more choices.
Thanks admin. I don't think there is more cards coming to the 2060 Line up as of now. I think every card in the series has been revealed already. https://techreport.com/news/34377/the-rtx-2060-graphics-cards-announced-so-far

There could possibly be more like you said that we don't know about yet. But out of the revealed line up only 2 have RGB The Gigabyte Aorus and the MSI Gaming Z and neither card is available yet. I really want my GPU to have RGB lol <3

Well at least hopefully they might hit the market in the next couple of weeks like you said. I just wanted one right now lol. I am ready to buy it.

Reactions: UsandThem

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
Thanks admin. I don't think there is more cards coming to the 2060 Line up as of now. I think every card in the series has been revealed already. https://techreport.com/news/34377/the-rtx-2060-graphics-cards-announced-so-far

There could possibly be more like you said that we don't know about yet. But out of the revealed line up only 2 have RGB The Gigabyte Aorus and the MSI Gaming Z and neither card is available yet. I really want my GPU to have RGB lol <3

Well at least hopefully they might hit the market in the next couple of weeks like you said. I just wanted one right now lol. I am ready to buy it.

The cards I had problems with were all Aorus 1070s. Pretty looking cards, turbo'd high, nice heat sinks and worked great until they flat out died. The boring EVGAs just kept chugging along.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
The cards I had problems with were all Aorus 1070s. Pretty looking cards, turbo'd high, nice heat sinks and worked great until they flat out died. The boring EVGAs just kept chugging along.
I bet, I know EVGA is great but I am willing to take the risk. Sometimes you gotta find out the hard way. Its no big deal because it has 3 year warranty on it so should be fine. I am willing to take the risk and find out. Unless lots of negative reviews come out then I would avoid it.

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
Why do you want to pay almost 400 for an aftermarket custom card when you can just pick up a basic 350 dollar version. If u want to spend 400 on a video card then 2060 is a bad buy.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Why do you want to pay almost 400 for an aftermarket custom card when you can just pick up a basic 350 dollar version. If u want to spend 400 on a video card then 2060 is a bad buy.
Yeah I think you might be right about that now that you point it out. Going to reconsider. Might just get the MSI Ventus.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I saw you mentioned R6 Siege, which is a game that loves high refresh rate. Then I noticed your sig!

Vega 64 or 56 is what I would recommend. It is easily undervolted to conserve power, and it gets about 90fps higher in Siege than my 1070 which was OC'd vs a stock 64. I play at 1080p180hz for this game and V64 makes 240hz a possibility for me.

The 3 fan variant of V64 I tried was just as quiet as my 1070 under load, and I really struggle at noticing the power consumption difference. The room heats up regardless whether I game on a R9 290, 1070, or V64.

I feel V64 will have a longer life span than the GTX 2060, but that's just me. Either card is a good buy as long as they have a nice cooler.

I tried a single fan 1060 and it was the loudest GPU I have used in a long time. Dual fan or bust!

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
If I have to choose between them i definitely go with RTX 2060 as it performs almost similar to 1070ti, also its a new gen GPU
Yeah kinda feeling the same way actually after doing some research on both cards. I am probably just going to buy the lower end model $350 instead of the High end Aorus or Gaming Z models which haven't released yet for some reason. Rumor has it they will be available by the second week of next month, so I am just going to wait and see how much those cost. Love to have RGB on my card but if its too much more I'll probably settle for a standard model with no RGB.

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
Yeah kinda feeling the same way actually after doing some research on both cards. I am probably just going to buy the lower end model $350 instead of the High end Aorus or Gaming Z models which haven't released yet for some reason. Rumor has it they will be available by the second week of next month, so I am just going to wait and see how much those cost. Love to have RGB on my card but if its too much more I'll probably settle for a standard model with no RGB.
Why not the FE?

Reactions: pauldun170

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Why not the FE?
Sounds really stupid don't it? Love the Green LED's but I really want to have RGB on my system. I have an LED strip and even though all I use is White light constantly I'd love to have a GPU with RGB On it. This is an investment for the next 2 or 3 years anyway. I think the next time I'll buy another GPU would be 2022 lol that's why I am not buying any of the other models just yet. I am in Love with how the Gigabyte RTX 2060 Aorus Looks with the RGB Logo and all. Hoping they release it around the second week of February.

Edited for corrections.

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
Sounds really stupid don't it? Love the Green LED's but I really want to have RGB on my system. I have an LED strip and even though all I use is White light constantly I'd love to have a GPU with RGB On it. This is an investment for the next 2 or 3 years anyway. I think the next time I'll buy another GPU would be 2022 lol that's why I am not buying any of the other models just yet. I am in Love with how the Gigabyte RTX 2060 Aorus Looks with the RGB Logo and all. Hoping they release it around the second week of February.
Well if you would keep the card till 2022 then 6gb will become a problem and Nvidia giving just 6gb for 400 dollars in 2019 doesn't sit right with me.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Well if you would keep the card till 2022 then 6gb will become a problem and Nvidia giving just 6gb for 400 dollars in 2019 doesn't sit right with me.
Well considering I paid $350 for my MSI GTX 970 3 years ago with 4gb (More like 3.5) I see that as a great upgrade, and honestly my GTX 970 has served me well, never has it disappointed me in any game I play. It runs Siege on Very High Settings between 60-110fps. Never did my GTX 970 seemed as not sufficient for my 1080p needs on any of the games I played. Honestly I am staying with 1080p as well not going to upgrade to 1440p anytime soon. So I really feel that the RTX 2060 is going to be a great upgrade.

I mean honestly, what's the games I play the most? Rust close to 1k hours (Runs great on my GTX 970 almost maxed) some Rainbow 6 Siege (Getting burnt out after 1k hours) Black Ops 4 (Love it)? Definitely could see some performance improvement in that with the RTX 2060. Modern Warfare 2? Modern Warfare 3? Black Ops 2? These are my favorite games I play the most (Love COD Sorry lol)

Secondary games are Diablo 3, Killing Floor 2, maybe some battlefield 3/4/1. Fallout 4, The Division 1 (Bought it on Christmas sale $6.50) Dark Souls 3? That's about all the games I play. I really think the RTX 2060 is more than enough for these titles at 1080p.

Sorry for the long reply, just enjoying the conversation, trying to explain my self and my position. I do play some League of Legends as well. How much more can I really need? And of course I probably have the option to get Battlefield 5 or Anthem when I get my card but not interested on either one will probably sell it on eBay.