What to Binge Watch During COVID-19?

Nov 8, 2012
Alright, my usual political shows of Bill Maher and John Oliver have officially gone on leave during this pandemic.... and something tells me a bunch of us at ATOT are going to be stuck in a home for ATLEAST 2 weeks.

So with that said, what do people have as recommendations to watch ? Bonus points for shows that aren't typical or more of a "hidden gem". I've heard of good ones on platforms like Netflix/Hulu, but I haven't gotten around to looking at any of them.

A couple of my picks to start it off:
-WestWorld - Season 3 just started.
-Cosmos - Season 2 just started.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Breaking Bad
LOST
Better Call Saul
The Wire
The Sopranos
The Shield
Sons of Anarchy
The League
Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Justified

As for "hidden gems", Spartacus is pretty damn good but has this b-movie style, but it grows on you. It was known at the time but I don't think it ever got too big or anything.

And a really hidden gem is Sleeper Cell. It's about terrorists cells and I believe it only lasted 2 seasons but it was awesome.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Picard
Primal (Gendy Tartakovsky)
Lost in Space
Harley Quinn animated series (holy shit!)

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Started watching Altered Carbon a week or so ago. I love the aesthetic to it. Very cyberpunk.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Why not do something else other than watch TV?
Read a book, take up a new hobby, work on that home-improvement project that has been put off, change your oil, do your taxes, fill out the census form. Take a 3-day break from technology altogether and only allow yourself to read news about coronavirus.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Read a book, take up a new hobby, work on that home-improvement project that has been put off, change your oil, do your taxes, fill out the census form. Take a 3-day break from technology altogether and only allow yourself to read news about coronavirus.
Right!

Grizzly Adams
The Ropers

Reactions: highland145
Nov 8, 2012

Because most things in life involve going somewhere.

I also was like "hmmm, I got some things to work on outside and in the home"... then I realized, I needed to buy parts, mulch/dirt, etc... and I'm honestly just not willing to chance going out over the next 2 weeks.

Yeah sure on your other junk - Taxes done. I read a book as well. If you think any of that stuff is going to fill your 16 hour days for the next 2 weeks thats just not gonna happen.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
"Harley Quinn animated series (holy shit!) "

didnt know about this one.

is Lost really good?

Season 1 was a little boring, but got interesting toward the end. Season 2 went off the rails...it has blockbuster movie-level production and really got the story moving.

The Harley Quinn series is the DC network only (*cough*)...it's an R rated animated series and plays out a lot like Archer. Absolutely hilarious!

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Start your own thread "books to read during coronavirus" ?
I recommend starting with Blindness by Jose Saramago
Then, read The Hot Zone by Richard Preston.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Victory at Sea, turn it up loud enough for folks in the former Axis powers to hear it.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Times like these make me glad I have hobbies like woodworking and a house to do projects on, or things other than watching T.V. and social media.

I mean, we're not on full lockdown. You can still go to the hardware store and get stuff. Just practice safe distancing, and make sure your hands are clean before entering the store and leaving - all stores now have wipes at the entrances.

But I still need to go to work. At least the roads are clear! If our company closes I'll still be working from home.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
End of Watch (not a series or about a virus or zombies, but just a great flick).

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd

By the end of season one you'll be booking flights just to lick the handle on the airplane restroom door.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
I watched this Australian/Kiwi vietnam war flick called danger close. Other than the fact they were pretending the Australian outback was a dense tropical jungle, it was good for mindless low budget war action.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Netflix recommendations (leaving off the obvious):

Babylon Berlin
Dark (don't watch it dubbed, it is awful)
The End of the F***ing world (not what it sounds like, just a road trip show really)
Umbrella Academy
Glow
Kim's Convenience
I Think You Should Leave
Russian Doll
The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance
The Toys that Made Us
Maniac

Bad but sort of entertaining:
Insatiable
Lost in Space
Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (this one is borderline good, all the Satanic stuff is corny as hell though)
Santa Clarita Diet

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Times like these make me glad I have hobbies like woodworking and a house to do projects on, or things other than watching T.V. and social media.

I mean, we're not on full lockdown. You can still go to the hardware store and get stuff. Just practice safe distancing, and make sure your hands are clean before entering the store and leaving - all stores now have wipes at the entrances.

But I still need to go to work. At least the roads are clear! If our company closes I'll still be working from home.
lol The kid is home from school. Time to paint a few rooms in the house. :D

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
lol The kid is home from school. Time to paint a few rooms in the house. :D
Ugh, I just finished doing the living room, dining room, and kitchen to get the house ready to sell. Don't look forward to doing that again anytime soon :|
Wouldn't have been so bad if I didn't have to do the ceilings too.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Ugh, I just finished doing the living room, dining room, and kitchen to get the house ready to sell. Don't look forward to doing that again anytime soon :|
Wouldn't have been so bad if I didn't have to do the ceilings too.
Haven't started already because of...existing wallpaper. Ain't nobody got time for that shit.