What to add the ability to record TV to hard disk to my set top box

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I have a pretty simple PC running XP with a G530 celeron setup that I use to watch netflix, youtube and other shows online. I'd like to be able to capture TV and record it to the hard drive, perhaps on a file server I have instead of the local drive. But I don't really know where to begin.

I have a SD Dish network receiver. I might get a dual SD tuner receiver to replace it at some point. I'm not interested in paying extra for HD honey boo boo or whatever. I also have a TV Tuner for local stations but I get those on the dish anyway. I guess I'd like to be able to record from both of those but I'm not sure if high def is really necessary.

I'm still looking into software and stuff I can use. I understand there are ir blasters that can be used to change the channels and record on a schedule. But what hardware do I get to do the capture? Something like this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815116031 I just don't know what to buy here. It seems most of the USB products actually use hardware. The Hauppengauge ones have offerings with HD which would be nice but not really necessary for me. Can these devices also be used to re-record old VHS tapes?

I guess I'd like to stick with USB unless their are any serious drawbacks. PCI-E would be doable. I don't want any more PCI cards since ports are disappearing from motherboards and all of my PCs already have at least one PCI-E slot.

coolkish

Dec 30, 2009
I have seen cards only for OTA and Cable but not satellite.

For OTA you have many choices including HD Homerun which involved just ethernet connectvity to your router and you are in business recording on your PC.