What the hell is up with those age verification boxes?

Thetech

Mar 12, 2005
This has probably been discussed before, but I wasn't sure what to search and
I wanted to start the discussion again anyway.

I know they've been around a long time. But what's the deal with those age verification boxes. They seem fu**in pointless. Are they required by law? I mean anyone who wanted to get in would just select the correct birth year.

What's the deal?

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I assume it's required by law. Seems like a textbook law that was poorly thought out.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
They require the end user to lie if they're not old enough, making it harder for a super-sensitive parent to complain/sue.

That's what I assume anyway.

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010
I don't get that one, could you explain?

Oddly enough though I still laughed.

It's just one of those moments that really make me feel old -- and also surreal in that I'm (at least conceptually) asking for permission from an adult that's probably younger than me to look at something like a trailer for Serious Sam 3.

/51 next month

NinjaCat

Jul 19, 2009
I don't mind doing it once, but every single time I go on a steam store page where the game is rated M is ridiculous, I'm logged onto my steam account I would think they could store my date of birth, I mean it gets to the point where i just put in some random day just to get through.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
I have just picked random dates ever since Steam would not remember my dob but have np remembering my cc #. Like Firsttime, it's usually 01/01/1900-1990 since 01/01 is usually default.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
I don't mind doing it once, but every single time I go on a steam store page where the game is rated M is ridiculous, I'm logged onto my steam account I would think they could store my date of birth, I mean it gets to the point where i just put in some random day just to get through.

They store my credit card info for over a year but they can't store my age, lol.

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004

I really wish steam would do this.

Basically I just select the easiest date. Some already have jan first in there, so I usually chose a date in the 80's or 70's.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
ON steam, I once clicked without scrolling down so I suppose it said I was 1 year old. I ended up having to quit steam and clear my cookies to continue.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004

I believe Steam just uses its own browser, and merely polls data from each game's homepage to make the "steam page". If the game's site requires age verification, then steam can't get around that.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
The reason is that they are not allowed to market and track (via cookies) individuals under 13 years of age.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I believe Steam just uses its own browser, and merely polls data from each game's homepage to make the "steam page". If the game's site requires age verification, then steam can't get around that.

Er, no, Steam maintains a Steam Store page for every game they sell.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
There are so many threads about this in Steam forum general discussion that people flip out every time a new one is made. Steam refuses to store birthdays.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
They require the end user to lie if they're not old enough, making it harder for a super-sensitive parent to complain/sue.

That's what I assume anyway.

Probably but I don't get this. There are plenty of sites on the internet that have adult content and don't have those age verification boxes. I don't think it's a legal requirement or grounds to sue for every site on the internet that has mild violence to have age verification, so why do some sites do it?

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
There are so many threads about this in Steam forum general discussion that people flip out every time a new one is made. Steam refuses to store birthdays.

really wish they did. you'd think by now they'd know i was born on january 1st in some year between 1940 and 1960

CrystalBay

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2002
I do not understand this false barriers everywhere either:awe:

Last edited: