What the hell is happening with China?

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
this is not related to anything US-side;

for some weird reason, i've been watching a few "news" channels on youtube, mostly, i reckon, based in India. As you may know, there recently was a border conflict between India and China: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_China–India_skirmishes
Some channel names: You news2, TFIglobal. There's more, i cant remember the names, i'm sure Youtube will suggest them.

And they all have one thing in common: super-aggressive language. They literally say things like "china got its ass kicked", "india is smart, china is dumb", "china suffers humiliating defeat", etc.

The production values are pretty damn high for being a joke channel. I understand that this is propaganda; it's just that, normally, you don't make propaganda that so mocks the opponent, expecially when it's big & rich & dangerous china. Normally, you'd use rethoric and passive-aggressive stances.

I sure as hell hope India doesn't drag us all into a war with china - you know, past alliances n' all that.

That's just a couple channels, but there's also been a proliferation of other anti-china channels, with some focusing on china's debt war, some on the occupation of hong kong, the uyghur camps, etc ..

Has any of this come on your radar?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
India itself is going through a rather ethno-nationalistic Trumpian phase, under Modi. They just kicked Amnesty International out. it's a global phenomenon, it seems.

Last edited:
Reactions: hal2kilo

twjr

Jul 5, 2006
The BJP under Modi is more specifically Hindu-nationalism than the general anti-white ethno-racial nationalism of "Trump's America" but it's similar. India has also banned a lot of Chinese tech companies and apps recently.

I wouldn't be too concerned about India provoking China. After decades of conflict with their neighbours they have a much more hardened and combat ready military than given credit for. It also wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the propaganda is to coincide with the Quad meeting in Japan that just wrapped up with India, USA, Australia and Japan. All the talk coming out of that meeting was pretty strongly Anti-Sino.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
India itself is going through a rather ethno-nationalistic Trumpian phase, under Modi. They just kicked Amnesty International out. it's a global phenomenon, it seems.

it's the aliens, they wan us to kill ourselves off so they can take over and deplete the resources without us getting in the way /s

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Nationalism is such a powerful force. I really think 'the left' underestimated it for a long time. It's also sometimes hard to distinguish from racism. And it has a peculiar trait that makes the distinction between the nationalism of the under-dog (Indians fighting British colonialism, say) blur into that of the oppressor. Sometimes you can't tell which it is. Sometimes both sides consider themselves the downtrodden ones.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Nationalism is such a powerful force. I really think 'the left' underestimated it for a long time. It's also sometimes hard to distinguish from racism. And it has a peculiar trait that makes the distinction between the nationalism of the under-dog (Indians fighting British colonialism, say) blur into that of the oppressor. Sometimes you can't tell which it is. Sometimes both sides consider themselves the downtrodden ones.

I think you have it right. I just don't know how to use that knowledge to help.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
a lot of the propaganda is to coincide with the Quad meeting in Japan that just wrapped up with India, USA, Australia and Japan. All the talk coming out of that meeting was pretty strongly Anti-Sino.
aaah ok, that makes perfect sense