What the hell happened to good ol' ice cream flavours?

JoetheLion

Nov 8, 2012
You know, just a normal day. Hot outside, hot in work, air conditioning is insufficient, you're sweating like a pig, so after work you'll go outside to fetch a scoop of a good ol' ice cream. I hate that crap that most shops sale in big packages - too sugary, too artificial, not enough ice cream in it if any. (I am this demanding since I was in Italy for a month and tasted REAL ice cream)
What is even more strange, I simply couldn't find any classic lemon ice cream, all of these shops or stands had something that has hardly any decent taste and flavours are just crazy as well. My friend recommended me this ice cream shop, but even the description discourages me:

"Favourites like roasted marshmallow, lemon meringue, coffee toffee, and banana chocolate chip are what keep the customers coming back. Greg's also offers flavours like star anise, cardamom, sweet cream, stout, and strawberry yogurt. All the varieties are creamy and bursting with rich taste. When you sample the roasted marshmallow flavour, you spend most of your time wondering, “How does it taste so much like roasted marshmallows?”"

Roasted marshmallows? Seriously? Is there a hot dog ice cream too? I mean, I know that I might sound like a hater, but all I want is a decent "oldschool" ice cream, because I think that these "enhancements" are trying to change something that was perfected long time ago in Europe.

So what's your opinion on these ice creams? Which one do you prefer? Am I the only one who cares for the good ol' lemon, apple or hazelnut flavour? And do you have any tips for a good ice cream in Toronto or perhaps a good brand that I'd be able to buy in walmart, loblaws etc.. ?

P.S.: yeah I am becoming pretty much grumpy.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Classic lemon ice cream? Apple ice cream? Hazelnut is a classic flavor to you?

Classic is vanilla, chocolate or strawberry. Maybe coffee if you are feeling punchy. Then you can move on to newer developments like choc chip, fudge swirl and mint choc chip.

Lemon ice cream. Haha.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I like any kind of coffee ice cream. My favorite is Ben and Jerrys coffee Heath bar crunch.

Reactions: ccryder

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I love a very high quality vanilla. That's classic and still my favourite.

KT

JoetheLion

Nov 8, 2012
Classic lemon ice cream? Apple ice cream? Hazelnut is a classic flavor to you?

Classic is vanilla, chocolate or strawberry. Maybe coffee if you are feeling punchy. Then you can move on to newer developments like choc chip, fudge swirl and mint choc chip.

Lemon ice cream. Haha.

I agree that it's usually based on where you grew up and what kind of cuisine you used to eat while growing up. My mother cooked a lot of Italian meals (even homemade ice cream - although it was chocolate), when it comes to italian ice cream, lemon is among the most basics and classic flavours, next to vanilla, chocolate, strawberry or hazelnuts.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
Frozen chunks of banana + vanilla + cinnamon + vitamix > ice cream

-KeithP

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
I mean, I know that I might sound like a hater, but all I want is a decent "oldschool" ice cream, because I think that these "enhancements" are trying to change something that was perfected long time ago in Europe.

get off of my lawn old man, and LOL at "perfected long time ago in Europe"

if they perfected it a long time ago then how did they miss out on so many great flavors?

Josh123

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2002
Me and my wife received a White Mountain ice cream maker for a wedding present a few years ago so we just make our own.

MiniDoom

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2004
some of the best ice cream i ever had was jalapeno. no joke, it was awesome.

JoetheLion

Nov 8, 2012
get off of my lawn old man, and LOL at "perfected long time ago in Europe"

if they perfected it a long time ago then how did they miss out on so many great flavors?

Basically it's more about how sugary and artificial it became. In other words, the formula is getting worse and some flavours are just not meant for ice cream, creating more and more new atrocities, something like that awful remake of Total Recall, it wasn't mean to be either.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Sounds like op thinks italian ice and ice cream are the same things.

I have never seen lemon ice cream as a classic as mentioned above it's the 3 normal flavors and even then strawberry may be pushing it as the third.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
You know, just a normal day. Hot outside, hot in work, air conditioning is insufficient, you're sweating like a pig, so after work you'll go outside to fetch a scoop of a good ol' ice cream. I hate that crap that most shops sale in big packages - too sugary, too artificial, not enough ice cream in it if any. (I am this demanding since I was in Italy for a month and tasted REAL ice cream)
What is even more strange, I simply couldn't find any classic lemon ice cream, all of these shops or stands had something that has hardly any decent taste and flavours are just crazy as well. My friend recommended me this ice cream shop, but even the description discourages me:

"Favourites like roasted marshmallow, lemon meringue, coffee toffee, and banana chocolate chip are what keep the customers coming back. Greg's also offers flavours like star anise, cardamom, sweet cream, stout, and strawberry yogurt. All the varieties are creamy and bursting with rich taste. When you sample the roasted marshmallow flavour, you spend most of your time wondering, “How does it taste so much like roasted marshmallows?”"

Roasted marshmallows? Seriously? Is there a hot dog ice cream too? I mean, I know that I might sound like a hater, but all I want is a decent "oldschool" ice cream, because I think that these "enhancements" are trying to change something that was perfected long time ago in Europe.

So what's your opinion on these ice creams? Which one do you prefer? Am I the only one who cares for the good ol' lemon, apple or hazelnut flavour? And do you have any tips for a good ice cream in Toronto or perhaps a good brand that I'd be able to buy in walmart, loblaws etc.. ?

P.S.: yeah I am becoming pretty much grumpy.

the F
i would never consider ordering a single flavor you listed in your postand those are not "good ole" flavors

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Gelato>Ice Cream , there should be a couple places that serve it downtown Toronto

JoetheLion

Nov 8, 2012
the F
i would never consider ordering a single flavor you listed in your postand those are not "good ole" flavors

eh? Did you read the whole post? I was saying that these are far from any good ol' flavours and that it seems that they are pushing out all the more conventional flavours.

Guys sorry to say this, but most of these new flavours have "murrica" written all over them with no good taste (I would love to know an exception), but I guess it's mostly because of bad artificial sweeteners and colourings. You know, some ice creams are actually made out of real fruit, instead of added colour and artificial flavouring,