What the heck is wrong with me and camera gears?

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
I hung my photography hat up for many years now, and then suddenly in the last 28 days I purchased a crap load of new camera equipment.

Canon 5D mkii, 24-105mm L IS, 100mm L IS macro, 70-200mm L IS, 580EX II, grip & batteries, 67mm cir-polarizer, 77mm cir-polarizer, remote shutter release. 2x16GB CF cards.

Rokinon 14mm and 2x128GB CF cards are on order, and I'm also looking for a canvas camera bag as well as S95 underwater housing.

Have anyone here been on a buying binge like this?

Last edited:

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Quite spree! But, ain't it fun! You are afflicted with a serious case of technolust. Enjoy!

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
Quite spree! But, ain't it fun! You are afflicted with a serious case of technolust. Enjoy!
If I keep up at this pace, I would blow my travelling budget long before my overseas trip. (5 weeks of leave in Dec/Jan was approved by the management on Tuesday).

Have anyone have experience with the Retrospective 30?

I'm also thinking of getting a used messenger canvas bag and lined it with neoprene for padding to save room and roving eyes.

Last edited:

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
If I keep up at this pace, I would blow my travelling budget long before my overseas trip. (5 weeks of leave in Dec/Jan was approved by the management on Tuesday).

Have anyone have experience with the Retrospective 30?

I'm also thinking of getting a used messenger canvas bag and lined it with neoprene for padding to save room and roving eyes.

Any reason you're looking a a messenger bag? I used my Osprey w/ an insert while I was in Hawaii and I found it to be kind of cumbersome. I think I'll be leaning towards a slim sling, like the Incase DSLR Sling (http://goincase.com/products/detail/dslr-sling-pack-cl58058) but they have some other canvas bags that don't necessarily look like camera bags but you can tell they're probably tech related.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
Any reason you're looking a a messenger bag? I used my Osprey w/ an insert while I was in Hawaii and I found it to be kind of cumbersome. I think I'll be leaning towards a slim sling, like the Incase DSLR Sling (http://goincase.com/products/detail/dslr-sling-pack-cl58058) but they have some other canvas bags that don't necessarily look like camera bags but you can tell they're probably tech related.
I will be in SE Asia for 5 weeks, and my regular camera bags will surely make me a target in large city centres. Hence, I'm looking for an inconspicuous camera bag.

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000
I will be in SE Asia for 5 weeks, and my regular camera bags will surely make me a target in large city centres. Hence, I'm looking for an inconspicuous camera bag.

Is all your gear insured? It is not much do add onto a home owner's insurance or renter's insurance and it will give you piece of mind.

Necrolezbeast

Apr 11, 2002
Inconspicuous is good.. but remember that the straps need to be tough enough to not break. In which I would assume that a quality camera bag, although obvious, would be built to take a tug... That is all just speculation (no experience with either a high quality bag or a messenger), but I've definitely heard of people getting a bag stolen by a motorcyclist riding by in Vietnam by either the straps breaking where they attach to the bag or by the bag not being attached to the person as well as it should be... other than there I've never heard of any muggings. But my personal experience is only within China and Northern Laos / Burma...

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
Thanks everyone.

I went with a Canon sling bag that I got from Walmart, because it is one of the lightest bag, has the widest and most comfortable strap cushion, the most compact compared to the 3 messenger bags that I tried. 1/2 to 1/4 less than a messenger bag.

I was able to stuffed a S95 and charger, 5dmkii + grip, 1 small lens, 4 medium lenses, 1 large flash, 4 filters, 1 remote control, 2 extra batteries + 2 chargers, 110v to 220v adapter, memories & electronic consumables, strap, and cleaning kit.

Surprisingly Walmart have the nicest bag out of the stores that I went to (3 sells bags only, 2 department stores, and 3 camera stores).

The only fault it has is being jet black which isn't good for bright sunlight in Asia. And, I now have to return 3 messenger bags that I purchased to tried out.

Last edited:

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
I hung my photography hat up for many years now, and then suddenly in the last 28 days I purchased a crap load of new camera equipment.

Canon 5D mkii, 24-105mm L IS, 100mm L IS macro, 70-200mm L IS, 580EX II, grip & batteries, 67mm cir-polarizer, 77mm cir-polarizer, remote shutter release. 2x16GB CF cards.

Rokinon 14mm and 2x128GB CF cards are on order, and I'm also looking for a canvas camera bag as well as S95 underwater housing.

Have anyone here been on a buying binge like this?
Heh. I own most of those, except my camera is the 7D (which recently got updated to have a decent audio recorder input). I bought the f/4 70-200. I didn't think I'd carry around the f2.8... and then I bought the 400 mm f/5.6. Which 70-200 did you get?

Since it's the 7D, I also have the 17-55 and the 10-20.

Guess what I use to take the most pics with these days? My iPhone, since I haven't gone anywhere interesting recently.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
Post some pics so people don't think you're just a gear junkie!
I post quite a few pictures of Indonesia in ATOT last year that I took with my S95.

And below is a pic I took yesterday. I'm still trying to figure out all of the functions on it. I still having a bit of trouble with white balance, and will have to get a white balance lens cap.

IMG_0457jpg.jpg

Last edited:

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
Heh. I own most of those, except my camera is the 7D (which recently got updated to have a decent audio recorder input). I bought the f/4 70-200. I didn't think I'd carry around the f2.8... and then I bought the 400 mm f/5.6. Which 70-200 did you get?

Since it's the 7D, I also have the 17-55 and the 10-20.

Guess what I use to take the most pics with these days? My iPhone, since I haven't gone anywhere interesting recently.
I got the 70-200mm f/4 IS version. I did tried out the 70-200mm IS II and I found that it is quite large and hefty for traveling. I would buy the 200mm f/2.8 in a heart beat if Canon put IS into it.

Einz

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Out of curiosity, what model is the sling bag? I have similar gear, and most of the slings that I've found are too small...

Thanks everyone.

I went with a Canon sling bag that I got from Walmart, because it is one of the lightest bag, has the widest and most comfortable strap cushion, the most compact compared to the 3 messenger bags that I tried. 1/2 to 1/4 less than a messenger bag.

I was able to stuffed a S95 and charger, 5dmkii + grip, 1 small lens, 4 medium lenses, 1 large flash, 4 filters, 1 remote control, 2 extra batteries + 2 chargers, 110v to 220v adapter, memories & electronic consumables, strap, and cleaning kit.

Surprisingly Walmart have the nicest bag out of the stores that I went to (3 sells bags only, 2 department stores, and 3 camera stores).

The only fault it has is being jet black which isn't good for bright sunlight in Asia. And, I now have to return 3 messenger bags that I purchased to tried out.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
Out of curiosity, what model is the sling bag? I have similar gear, and most of the slings that I've found are too small...
Canon 500SR

Specifications:
* Holds, 1-2 DSLR camera bodies, 3-4 lenses or accessories.
* Inside measurements (WxHxD) 22 X 37 X 15 cm

Bar code: 60685 04955

Canon Canada, INC
2224V351