Question What the heck is this called - flexible, short (about 3 or 4 inches), positionable usb cable

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I have a wifi dongle on a thin client HP T620 that I used as the basis of a Linux Mint PC at work. The wifi dongle doesn't work well, and I have a much better one at home, but it sticks out a bit too much.

I'd like to use a short, flexible, positionable USB cable to allow the better wifi dongle to stick up vertically.

I know that these things exist, because I used to have one in a drawer. But evidently because I can't think of the correct name for it, I'm not seeing one
come up in any searches that I do.

Any suggestions? This would be very helpful in getting the wifi better at work. Thanks!

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Dang, neither of those is exactly what I've used before. The one I had in a drawer had something in it that let you position it exactly, and it would stay at that angle. I guess I could just use a regular short cable, & put something like a paperclip alongside it to do about the same? Hmm.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Reactions: mxnerd

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ Typical pipe cleaner wire seems too weak if I am thinking of same thing you are.

I was thinking just use some scrap 14ga solid core wire, like you'd find as scrap at a new home site after the electrician has been through if too cheap to buy it. Or, the spiral binder from a notepad, or popscicle sticks glued together, or a bunch of spagetti, softened in a pot, wrap around cord, let dry, etc. ;)

Usually, it's not sticking up vertically that matters as much as just any extension to get it away from that large metal RF blocking blob known as a computer case.

This is because what you're describing is almost certainly an omni-directional opposed to a directional, aimed antenna.

Last edited:

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I do have 90% of a huge roll of electric wire, left over from doing some projects. I have taken pieces of that out, bent the end, and used it to clean out hard to get to places. I could use some of that, or else a couple of pipe cleaners. Strange that I just haven't been able to find a positionable short USB cable (about 4") like the one I used to have in my drawer. Can't seem to find the original, so now I'm annoyed. Went to a place that sells computer cables locally, but they have moved after being in the same place for 8 years...

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Besides your particular niche use, it would otherwise be undesirable to have a stiffer USB cable as it puts more stress on the port and/or connected device.

Keep in mind that you're probably even better off with a longer USB cable to position the dongle further away from the metal computer case to improve signal quality, maybe you have a spare that ends at a base platform like some Logitech wireless keyboards among other devices, have... or just plug it into a hub.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
The first one seems to be functionally the same as what I used to have, thanks! It says flexible & adjustable, so this should work!

*edit* Dang! Description mentions an LED light, and so do the reviews. They don't match the photo! I have to assume if I order it, I'll get a flexible USB cable with an LED light on the end, and not a port I can plug a wifi dongle into. Ugh.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
The first one seems to be functionally the same as what I used to have, thanks! It says flexible & adjustable, so this should work!

*edit* Dang! Description mentions an LED light, and so do the reviews. They don't match the photo! I have to assume if I order it, I'll get a flexible USB cable with an LED light on the end, and not a port I can plug a wifi dongle into. Ugh.
My guess is that the seller used the same page to sell a new product but changed the item, pictures and description. This allows them to keep the reviews.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
My guess is that the seller used the same page to sell a new product but changed the item, pictures and description. This allows them to keep the reviews.

The page also gives an option for this:

61zWibdXDPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg