What the foreign papers are saying

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
From here

This is the best quote: :)

Papers across Africa questioned the rationale for invading Iraq. The Mail & Guardian of Johannesburg said the war "is about revenge; about American penis size as much as American bellies

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
If she wanted that to be real she should have gone over to Iraq, picked up the body of an Iraqi child shot by Iraqi forces because her father wouldn't fight and showed that to the rest of the world....

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
We can't see ourselves like the rest of the world does because we are blinded by our own propaganda. It does however cause one to want to react with contempt and feigned indifference. It takes a lot of self dicipline to discover just how ugly you are. We are very lucky to have the mirror. Isolated we would never even notice.

Morph

Banned
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: rudder
And I care what the people of Africa think because....????

Nice attitude. And we wonder why the rest of the world despises us.

Morph

Banned
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Alistar7
If she wanted that to be real she should have gone over to Iraq, picked up the body of an Iraqi child shot by Iraqi forces because her father wouldn't fight and showed that to the rest of the world....

Yeah, and she can see all the babies that they are boiling in pots to make soup for Saddam Hussein.

Karsten

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I don't feel particular isolated, since I am German and always read German Media as well I get quite a different view (not mentioning the BBC that gets my ear on occasion).
However... I feel very disappointed by the German Media, which I sort of always knew to be objective covering things as they are. Sadly these days it is quite different. Everything has a slant to-wards the sarcastic and bad, whatever the US is doing.

For example: The embedded Reporters

Anyone with half a brain knows or can figure out simple facts about them:
  • No... they can not tell you where they are, that would be dumb!
    No... they won't show particular gruesome pictures, that would be bad publicity!
    Yes, they are admitted by the unit commanders to show only certain things... maybe even things to benefit the view of the US
Major reason however that they are there is: TO MAKE SURE MEDIA SEES FIRST HAND WHAT THE DO AND DON'T DO. How they treat the people there and how they are treaded. If there was no camera present when prisoners are taken all sorts of weird claims wold fly from the lying mouth of the "Information" Minister in Baghdad.

The Military uses the Journalists in a give and take. The Journalist are there as "Independent Eyewitnesses" and in exchange the get a story for whomever they work for. I think that was a very smart choice.

German Media portrays them as sort of a slave Media of the Goverment... which is far far from the truth. But what can you expect from a newspaper that calls Tony Blair, Bushes Puppy Dog visiting his master. :(
Make no mistake about it... the whole propaganda issue will play a crucial role with things to come. I hope the US can get more of their view across Al Jazeira... since that seems to be the only network at has credibility in the Arab world.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
We can't see ourselves like the rest of the world does because we are blinded by our own propaganda. It does however cause one to want to react with contempt and feigned indifference. It takes a lot of self dicipline to discover just how ugly you are. We are very lucky to have the mirror. Isolated we would never even notice.

I take it Saddam banned mirrors of self-discovery long ago.

I know the US is no angel when it comes to practices performed in both domestic and on the international front, however; with a few exceptions, we are not declaring jihad on Iraq as well as wishing the death of every Iraqi, both woman and child. We do not work on our military program in blatant violation of UN policies while 80% of our population requires a government handout because our country and leadership is so backward that it would be considered a joke if it weren't for all the people dieing.

The US was formed by driving the Native Americans to remote patches of land that noone wanted. We rounded up Japanese after Pearl Harbor in internment camps. We even dropped a nuke on Hiroshima and Nagasaki...

Germans killed millions of jews by following the urgings of a genocidal madman, Russians killed millions of their own people during the Bolshevik Revolution and the period following it, the Romans killed the religious leader of a group of people; Mohammed was killed by a jew; Ghandi was killed by a hindu, Malcolm X was killed by an Islamic, Martin Luther King Jr and JFK were allegedly killed by former military personnel...
These things happened in the past, they should not be forgotten but you should not judge a people based on the actions of their ancestors.
That was then...

this is now...
Saddam cares nothing for human life, he has at one time had chemical and biological weapons. He has used these weapons on his own people. He has tried to obtain nuclear weapons and has a bad tendency on invading other countries. He runs a militaristic regime where if you speak against him you end up dead, usually in a public display and sometimes involving other family members as well.

steell

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Morph
Originally posted by: rudder
And I care what the people of Africa think because....????

Nice attitude. And we wonder why the rest of the world despises us.

And that's why there are so many people trying to leave the US, and no one trying to enter?

I am curious as to how you arrived at that opinion.