What the? CMOS settings?

Slimline

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2004
Rescently my computer has developed an issue where when I restart, my computer comes up with a black screen (i am assuming my mobo screen, I forgot to write down the imfo on last occurrence) saying that my CMOS values can not be found. I am asked if i wish to continue with default values, or if i wish to correct them. What on earth would cause this? IS my battery dying? THat wouldnt make sense though as it only happens sporatically. I just built my computer in June, my specs are listed in my sig. Any info would be greatly appreciated as this is getting annoying.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
If the system fails to complete its POST, like for example you turn it off mid-POST by hand, then it's going to do that on the next go-around. Do you have any doubts about the quality and/or adequacy of your power supply?

Slimline

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2004
If you remember mechbgon, I was the one who had purchased a powmax case with my homebuilt compter. Not two days in that power supply failed I bought a good 400 watt psu. So to answer your question, i highly doubt it is my psu.

FINGERS20

Sep 21, 2003
Have you tried clearing the CMOS by moving the link on M/B and going back into bios and resetting your parameters?

Slimline

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2004
No, but i will try that tonight and see if it does anything. However I dont think that is going to do the trick since it seems sporadic

Grimmett

Dec 30, 2003
The Cmos battery comes to mind . You could always just buy one and see if that fixes your problem, they're not too expensive

Calin

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Grimmett
The Cmos battery comes to mind . You could always just buy one and see if that fixes your problem, they're not too expensive

I'll second that. Anyway, changing the CMOS battery is quite easy. Check before the type of the battery (markings on it) and buy a second one just like that.
EDIT: a similar one