What sort of bureaucratic culture covers up child molestation?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
The catholic church have been doing it decades, maybe even centuries.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
No doubt they tried to keep it on the down low because they knew what a shitstorm it would cause. They probably tried to reform him internally.

imagine if it was your family... you found out your brother.. or your mother... did something like that. would you instantly run to the police and the press? or try to keep it quiet and take care of it 'in the family' ?

if you say you'd run to the police and turn them in first... you're either lying... or family means nothing to you.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. There are some things you handle internally, and there are some things that are so bad you go straight to the cops. If my brother was drinking and driving, or even using drugs, it would be something we'd first try to handle as a family. If I found out my brother was a serial killer or rapist, you'd better believe I'd be going to the cops immediately, and it has nothing to do with family "meaning nothing".

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
WTF is wrong with you people and media going after Paterno, one of the last old school great coach and great person in a sports filled with aholes.

JoePa didn't witness the incident first hand, he was told of the incident, and immediately reported to school administrators who has the power to investigate and take action. He didn't know what actually happened, he doesn't have the mandate nor the resource to investigate. Sandusky was not his staff in 2002. He assumed the school would investigate and take proper actions. The school did investigate, took action (Kick Sandusky off campus), but it wasn't JoePa's call if the action was enough or proper because he wasn't involved in the detail investigation and only had second hand info.

Why didn't the witness go to police himself? Why isn't he getting bashed? Oh I get it, he isn't famous enough.

Both are being bashed, but that said, yes JoePa is getting the brunt of it, and rightfully so. McQueary has already told the team he is gone, JoePa is saying "I was fooled". Bullshit. He knew just as much or more than anyone. And don't buy into the crap that he had secondhand info, because then I would argue the President had third-hand info.

Also, Sandusky was NOT kicked off the campus, in fact he was on campus, at a practice, with JoePa, just last week!

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
imagine if it was your family... you found out your brother.. or your mother... did something like that. would you instantly run to the police and the press? or try to keep it quiet and take care of it 'in the family' ?

From what I understand this guy was seen fucking a 10-year old in the shower. If I saw a relative of mine doing that I would call the cops.

I admit if I had a brother who was say, fooling around with a girl who was a bit below the age of consent I might try to set him straight myself. That's not what happened here though.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
From what I have read I don't think that Paterno did anything wrong. He was told by someone else that they saw a boy being molested/abused. So if he goes to police, all he has is heresay evidence, not really much the police will do excecpt watch for more evidence. Now, the person (student) who told Paterno should have been the one to go straight to the police since they had eye witness knowledge of what happened. That the cops would likely have to act on. Paterno did the right thing and told his superiors. To do anything more would have put him right in the middle of a mess based on a story someone else told him. That would have been very stupid had that story turned out to be false. IMO the eyewitness is 100% at fault as are the school official who did nothing. Paterno acted correctly. About all he could have done (and maybe did but you wouldn't know it from watching the news) is demand the eyewitness go to the police. That is about all I can see he is guilty of.

Edit: BTW the Badgers fucking blow.

Last edited:

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
From what I have read I don't think that Paterno did anything wrong. He was told by someone else that they saw a boy being molested/abused. So if he goes to police, all he has is heresay evidence, not really much the police will do excecpt watch for more evidence. Now, the person (student) who told Paterno should have been the one to go straight to the police since they had eye witness knowledge of what happened. That the cops would likely have to act on. Paterno did the right thing and told his superiors. To do anything more would have put him right in the middle of a mess based on a story someone else told him. That would have been very stupid had that story turned out to be false. IMO the eyewitness is 100% at fault as are the school official who did nothing. Paterno acted correctly. About all he could have done (and maybe did but you wouldn't know it from watching the news) is demand the eyewitness go to the police. That is about all I can see he is guilty of.

Edit: BTW the Badgers fucking blow.

Maybe by your Momma....All at the same time. ;)

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Pretty sad end to a truely outstanding career. And from everything I've seen Paterno did nothing wrong-he did what he was supposed to do by immediately reporting what he knew up the chain of command.

Apparently people are holding Paterno to a higher standard of duty because of who he is.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Something that confuses me.

It's a University. I don't presume we're actually talking about minors here.

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
Pretty sad end to a truely outstanding career. And from everything I've seen Paterno did nothing wrong-he did what he was supposed to do by immediately reporting what he knew up the chain of command.

Apparently people are holding Paterno to a higher standard of duty because of who he is.

Yes, he is held to a higher standard, he is pretty much GOD at Penn State so he should have done the right thing and pursused this until the sick fuk was in jail...

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
So, as the shitstorm continues to grow..should Paterno coach on Sunday?...Sorry for all you Penn State Alum but the universities future looks grim for the next decade...