What songs are so moving that they send chills down your spine?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
Barber's Adagio in G does it for me, especially the choral version (Agnus Dei). I think a big part of the reason is that it was the background music in Homeworld 1 when your planet is destroyed (the one you start on, not the homeworld).

Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: TheAdvocate
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
Originally posted by: IAteYourMother
Originally posted by: acegazda
For me:
Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley

fixed.

No, really not into the Buckley thing. The Rufus version humbles me though.

First, for everyone who said Hallelujah - It's actually a Leonard Cohen song and the original is very interesting. And while I normally only tease about musical opinions, since there are very few absolutes in an ocean of opinions, there is absolutely no comparison between any other cover and Buckley's. He made that song his. The rest are just pale covers.

FWIW though, Buckley penned several songs himself that are just as haunting.

My personal contribution to the thread is Iron & Wine - The Trapeze Swinger

I linked the lyrics. It sounds as good as it reads. Every single time I hear it, the hairs stand up on my neck and I have to hide the moistening of my eyes. It's the most moving song I've heard this decade. That moment when you figure out the lyrics will find you on your knees.

the original may be Leonard Cohen's, but his original lyrics are different from John Cale's, from whom Buckley copied/was inspired by. But anyways, I love Buckley's song "Forget Her" Just WOW. That's also AMAZING especially if you can relate to the song which most ppl can.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=noQH6lyu0sA