What songs are so moving that they send chills down your spine?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
"Runaway" -- The Corrs

"Past & Future Secret" -- Blind Guardian

"Feel for You" -- Nightwish

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis
current top picks
tool - 10k days/wings for marie
Good one. Yeah, when he sings "10,000 days in the fire is long enough, you're going home," I definitely get chills. For those of you that don't know, those two songs are about his mother. Basically, she somehow lost the use of her legs for the last roughly 27 years (just about 10,000 days) of her life. During that time, her faith in God got even deeper, and Maynard questions this on the song Judith as well, basically saying he can't believe that something so terrible would happen to such a saint and she wouldn't question the motivation of God for that. I just feel like most of his songs are about things in general, but you get a real insight into his personal life with this one, and you can just feel the passion with which he sings that song.

Say It To Me Now - Glen Hansard - Once

If you haven't seen the movie, see it. If you haven't heard the soundtrack, get it. This song is sung right after the opening credits, and sets the mood for the whole film. As ridiculous and cheesy as it sounds, his voice and his facial expressions make it look like he's pouring his heart and soul into every song he sings, and no other song is as indicative of that than this one. Incredible. If you wait to hear this song until you see the movie, then I guarantee you that at 1:13 into the song you will get chills. GUARANTEE. Unless you just can't stand the type of music. Also, Falling Slowly on this album is an incredible song as well. It will have the same effect the first time you hear it.

Edit: DOH! Didn't finish.

Sarah McLachlan - Angel (some versions more than others)
Lindsey Buckingham - Go Insane (on "The Dance"... great song)
Lots of Radiohead

And yeah, a million more, but I can't think of them right now.

timswim78

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2003
Johnny Cash's recording of Gordon Lightfoot's "If You Could Read My Mind."

He recorded it shortly after his wife's death and shortly before his own. You can feel the pain in his voice.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
im gonna add

Dropkick Murphys - 09 - The Green Fields Of France

to my list as it just came on and yea i really love this song

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
Queen -Bohemian Rhapsody
Tool - Rosetta Stoned, Triad, Lateralus, Reflection and more
NOFX - The decline
Metallica - One
Gladiator Battle theme - Hans Zimmer
Pink Floyd - The final cut
Pink Floyd - High Hopes
Dream Theater - Prophets of War
Ozzy - No More Tears
Hurt - Rapture
Mudvayne - Fall into sleep

Basically a lot of songs that send chills in my spine :p

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Ilmater
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis
current top picks
tool - 10k days/wings for marie
Good one. Yeah, when he sings "10,000 days in the fire is long enough, you're going home," I definitely get chills. For those of you that don't know, those two songs are about his mother. Basically, she somehow lost the use of her legs for the last roughly 27 years (just about 10,000 days) of her life. During that time, her faith in God got even deeper, and Maynard questions this on the song Judith as well, basically saying he can't believe that something so terrible would happen to such a saint and she wouldn't question the motivation of God for that. I just feel like most of his songs are about things in general, but you get a real insight into his personal life with this one, and you can just feel the passion with which he sings that song.

Say It To Me Now - Glen Hansard - Once

If you haven't seen the movie, see it. If you haven't heard the soundtrack, get it. This song is sung right after the opening credits, and sets the mood for the whole film. As ridiculous and cheesy as it sounds, his voice and his facial expressions make it look like he's pouring his heart and soul into every song he sings, and no other song is as indicative of that than this one. Incredible. If you wait to hear this song until you see the movie, then I guarantee you that at 1:13 into the song you will get chills. GUARANTEE. Unless you just can't stand the type of music. Also, Falling Slowly on this album is an incredible song as well. It will have the same effect the first time you hear it.

Edit: DOH! Didn't finish.

Sarah McLachlan - Angel (some versions more than others)
Lindsey Buckingham - Go Insane (on "The Dance"... great song)
Lots of Radiohead

And yeah, a million more, but I can't think of them right now.

most of the songs are a personal journey of some sort to him. while he was playing in LA (I was there =D), he had to leave the stage for 2 minutes of this song while the band hammered on

49erinnc

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2004
Pearl Jam's version of "Crown of Thorns"; "Release"; "Black"; "Elderly Woman..."
Lynard Skynard - "All I Can Do Is Write About It"
Led Zep - "10 Years Gone"; "The Rain Song"; "Thank You"
Everclear - "Father of Mine"
Drivin N Cryin - "Honeysuckle Blue"
Floyd - "Wish You Were Here"
John Lennon - "Imagine"
Neil Diamond - "I Am, I Said"
Billy Squier - "Nobody Knows"

Vetterin

Aug 31, 2004
At This Moment by Billy Vera and The Beaters
Dance With My Father BY Luther Vandross

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
Amazing Grace on the pipes. The first time was at my grandfather's funeral when a piper appeared walking over a hill in the cemetery playing it as his casket was being lowered in the ground. And since then at the funerals for my father and uncle. After those I can't help but get a bit choked every time I here it.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
Originally posted by: IAteYourMother
Originally posted by: acegazda
For me:
Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley

fixed.

No, really not into the Buckley thing. The Rufus version humbles me though.

First, for everyone who said Hallelujah - It's actually a Leonard Cohen song and the original is very interesting. And while I normally only tease about musical opinions, since there are very few absolutes in an ocean of opinions, there is absolutely no comparison between any other cover and Buckley's. He made that song his. The rest are just pale covers.

FWIW though, Buckley penned several songs himself that are just as haunting.

My personal contribution to the thread is Iron & Wine - The Trapeze Swinger

I linked the lyrics. It sounds as good as it reads. Every single time I hear it, the hairs stand up on my neck and I have to hide the moistening of my eyes. It's the most moving song I've heard this decade. That moment when you figure out the lyrics will find you on your knees.

TeeJay1952

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
Harry Chapin - Sniper
Elton John - Tickin
John McCutchen -The Great Storm is Over
Phil Oches - Crucification