What size drill bit to cut the fan screw holes?

BZeto

Platinum Member
Apr 28, 2002
I'm cutting a 120 mm hole in the side of my case and adding a fan for extra cooling. I already have the hole and screw holes drawn out on the side of the case, now I just gotta cut it. But I was wondering what size drill bit to use to cut the 4 holes for the mounting screws? I heard 3/16, is that correct?

And btw, do you think I will have any problems cutting the 120 mm hole with a sabre saw?

Technonut

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2000
If your drill has a 1/2" chuck, I would (and do) use a 4 1/4" hole saw (DeWalt) for 120mm fans. As for the screw holes, I never really paid attention to the exact size bit that I pulled out of my set. I have been getting much use out of the hole saw just by drilling out the built-in 120mm fan openings (Very air restrictive) in cases that I use. (The screw holes are already there) ;)

EDIT: If you are not going to re-paint your case side, I suggest putting a layer of good quality clear packing tape over and around the hole that you marked. It will help to prevent the paint from chipping when you cut or drill.