What should i do: sold something on eBay, but the USPS lost it?!

Rally1

Platinum Member
May 20, 2001
OK i sold a SB live on eBay, shipped it off using priority mail, and delivery confirmation.

Well he says he never got it, and the confirmation # just shows that it was taken by the Post Office, nothing after that.

So either he got it, and mail man never scanned it, and he his trying to rip me off.

Or they really lost it. Assuming they lost, should I refund the guy?

Normally I say in the auction that insurance is optional, and recommended, because i won't be responsible if lost, but i didn't on this one.

Thoughts?

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
uh...I hate doing it but I've always replaced anything that gets lost by USPS on Ebay...but tell him to wait up to 2 weeks

dbcrossfire

Sep 3, 2001
I've had the same problem a number of times with USPS... they are a bitc|-| to work with and I always ended up sending the same item out using fedex.

Hossenfeffer

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
Given the present situation, huge delays are possible with the mail system and both sides will need to take that into account. If it wasn't scanned at delivery, it wasn't delivered (as far as you're concerned). Could be wrong, but I think you have to wait 30 days before reporting something lost.

jehh

Banned
Jan 16, 2001
You'll have to eat this one I'm afraid... That is why DC is rather useless... They don't scan often enough...

Jason

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000
I would probably reimburse or replace if possible, since he said he didn't get it and the DC isn't showing it delivered, he is probably being truthful. Unless an item is very inexpensive I do buy insurance and pass the cost along to the buyer, it's not an option.

Also agree with waiting awhile longer before you do anything, it might still get there.

wedi42

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2001
file a tracer with the post office.
it will at least buy you some time
i think it takes 30 days
it may show up by then or the dude will forget about it

Rally1

Platinum Member
May 20, 2001
Thanks, i agree, it's not his fault they lost it, not mine either, but i'd rather eat the $40 and keep buyers happy.

I think I will ask him to wait a little longer, then send him a new one (cheaper than refunding him ;) )

I have been using USPS for a while, but they have been pissing me off lately.