What should I do about my buildings management company?

UDT89

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
So I live in a co-op....just moved in about 3 months ago and everything has been great.

I have a list of 4-5 things that need to be taken care of by my building's managment company and they took care of only 1 in the three months I've been living there.

Obviously if i keep paying my fees every month why would they come and do it?

Whats the best way to handle these guys?

UDT89

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
-my balcony door needs to be repainted, damaged by the fire prior to me moving in. it was to be painted before i moved in as per my contract but they delayed it b/c of cold weather back in march.

-my stove is broken. its brand new, 3 months old and was bought by the contractors that built my apartment. i need proof of purchase to get it serviced which has to come from the management company b/c they purchased it.....through their insurance.

-I barely have cold water pressure. Very odd.....

-Thermostat still not installed (for winter months)

-Bathroom window screen was missing when I purchased, also stated in the contract to be replaced before moving in.

UDT89

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: MrChad
Why not approach your owner's association/board?

there really isnt a board. there is but not very organized.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: UDT89
Originally posted by: amdskip
Hold their money? Won't that get their attention?

what about late fees and stuff like that?

Send them the list.

Attach any documentation that you have justifying your claim(s)

Notify them that effective 1 Aug - all fees will be placed in escrow until problems are fixed.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy

Send them the list.

Notify them that effective 1 Aug - all fees will be placed in escrow until problems are fixed.

So technically he is not paying fees and can be assessed late fees regardless...

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda

Send them the list.

So technically he is not paying fees and can be assessed late fees regardless...
by placing the payments in escrow - he can win if they try to impose late fees on him.

The key thing is that they are informed on why the payments are withheld and that the funds are immediately available upon completion of the punch list.

They are also provided a reasonable amount of time to get the items, in dispute, corrected.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda

Send them the list.

by placing the payments in escrow - he can win if they try to impose late fees on him.

The key thing is that they are informed on why the payments are withheld and that the funds are immediately available upon completion of the punch list.

They are also provided a reasonable amount of time to get the items, in dispute, corrected.

he needs to check any and all documents that he might have signed before jumping and he needs to check the state laws!!

Good Luck!!