What should I be when I grow up!?

urbantechie

Banned
Jun 28, 2000
Hmm, 15 now. I am in Geometry but I don't know much algebra. I hate math. So, I guess I can't be a Computer Engineer/Programmer. Right now, I'm working as a tech at a local computer shop. Maybe when i'm 18 I can open a store? But now days profits are low for independent computer shops. I was thinking Hi-Tech Management or something like that. Anyone have any ideas? My family isn't the richest but prolly the average middle class family, my dad has big expectations for me. So if I don't make any thing good of myself, i'm screwed! :frown:

prodigy

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
By all means make sure you do something that you like. Don't look towards a career field simply because of the money, because remember that you'll be spending a good 40 or so years of your life doing it. Of course money helps as you could enjoy your job fully but if you're only making $5/hr it won't be enough to support yourself and your family. Try to find a balance between the two.

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
Hmm... I've been thinking about choosing something to focus on for my long term. I don't know what the hell I want to be. I'm good in math, science, etc... but nothing really appeals to me outside the mindless task of putting together and configuring systems and stuff like that.

urbantechie

Banned
Jun 28, 2000
Well, what really appeals me is IT department. Another thing is, I am currently taking Photo 2 AP, so i'm a serioushobbist in photography. (got my self over $6K in eqipment! :Q) So I was thinking Brooks Institue of Photography. The graduation and people getting jobs over 45K a yr was 100% last year. And the time you are there you get a normal BS degree and Major in 3yrs. So that might be an option for me. As for being part of the IT department, is there a specifc major for that?

pac1085

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
Im only 15 and im already preparing to be a Network Administrator :) They get paid good cash...Until then, im going to start a small computer store locally...did you know what www.3dcool.com is grossing 2 million this year?

urbantechie

Banned
Jun 28, 2000
Well, I might open a shop up when i'm 18. But the profit for small computer stores is LOW. Average profit for one computer built is about $50. I could probably go for network admin. But what major is that in college? Thats the kind of info I need.

Batti

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2000
I can correct one thing for you - you do not need to be a math wiz to be in IT. I was always a better English student than math, and thought that would hold me up in the computer field. As a Network Admin, I do FAR more communicating than math!!!

Someone else chime in and tell him what major is best. Or do a search on computer engineering...

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I also agree that Math is not really needed to work in IT.

And don't get a PHD if you want to get rich. For the most part why don't you compare the average 22 year old starting out in IT with the average PHD graduate?

22-year old:
-some student loans starting out

PHD at 30:
- crapload of student loans
- definitely making less start money than the 22-year old is by time he/she is 30
- in most cases ultimately less income finally

Now if you are a medical doctor things are a bit different...but by the time I'm 30 I will have no loans and paying healthily on a mortage. a friend of mine is doing his masters and PHD in philosophy, cranking up loans and what not. By the time he is 30 what does he have to show for it? What will he do with a phd in philosophy? I'll have almost a decade of strong income ahead of him.

Even medical doctors are often up to their eyeballs in debt for years and years afterwards. Both of my parents are shrinks and will probably retire with the same amount of money as myself and wife (me IT, she a nurse), even though our income is a fraction of theirs. It took them years to get going and pay off debts.

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999
I agree with prodigy that you shouldn't do something for the money. You should do something you really enjoy, since it will result in you being a much happier person.

qacwac

Oct 12, 2000
It's good to have an idea at your age but don't set anything in stone. Things can change a lot by the time you get to college and during college. Try out a variety of classes your freshman year and see what you like. Plus, your advisors there are actually helpful. Oh yeah. Have a little fun. My freshman year was crap because I hated all my classes. So I decided I'm going to have atleast a little fun and so this year I only took 16 hours and I've got a hiking/backpacking class. So what if it takes 5 years. I'll graduate knowing about more than just compters and might begin a lifelong hobby.

But all of that is coming from a 20 year old so my experience is limited.

urbantechie

Banned
Jun 28, 2000
I guess IT. Right now, I just wanna go skate and stay on the computer all day. School is major suck right now.