What seperates geeks and nerds?

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
So I work in the computer lab / library at my college, and the IT dept. has challenged us to a game of flag football in a couple months. They slid a paper under our door that said "Geeks vs. Nerds" and had a picture of an inhaler labeled as "The gauntlet has been thrown"

So tell me, what makes a geek a geek and not a nerd?

Also, comical ideas for a return message are welcome :)

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Geeks can get women.

True. Nerds are the ones with high IQ's and talk in high voices and are seen as 'losers'/unpopular. (all these are stereotypes, but just telling them to make a 'comparison')

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: Quintox
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Geeks can get women.

True. Nerds are the ones with high IQ's and talk in high voices and are seen as 'losers'/unpopular. (all these are stereotypes, but just telling them to make a 'comparison')

So how do I spin that into a funny reply to their message?

ryan256

Platinum Member
Jul 22, 2005
Knowledge:
Geeks are very knowledgeable and for the most part are readily willing to share that knowledge and teach it to others who are genuinely interested in learning.
Nerds are also very knowledgeable but cling to it, refuse to share it, and believe that it makes them superior to those around them.

Social skills:
Geeks are socially inexperienced.
Nerds are socially inept.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
I can't remember the order, but one of my profs defined geeks and nerds to be equal except that geeks were comfortable with their lack of muscle control and nerds weren't :p

IIRC, the ranking was : Geeks, Nerds, Dorks (nerd wannabes)

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
i think a geeky person is defined more by the activities they partake in and the ability to step back and say, "this is fun but i have a life". whereas a nerd is just straight up nerdy and uncool, while also participating in the geeky activities, he/she does so on a more hardcore level and also lacks the ability to seperate themselves from it because they are so damn nerdy that it's all they have. there are a lot of different types of geeks, and the term itself is quite cliche and all-encompassing because anyone can be a "geek" for something.

LOL

one of my coworkers just stopped in (hottie) so i asked her what she thinks the difference between geeks and nerds is.

"well, a geek is into computers and can be cool, but a nerd is just into computers." :)

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
What separates geeks from nerds? Easy. Star Wars vs. Star Trek. I thought everybody knew that.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: ahurtt
What separates geeks from nerds? Easy. Star Wars vs. Star Trek. I thought everybody knew that.

:laugh: that's great. My coworkers and I are having some laughs at the responses so far, as we all fight the inner nerd vs. geek struggle.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
the way I see it, geeks tend to have extensive amounts of knowledge, curiosity, and interest in more useful areas, and can be, but are not always socially inept. Their competence over subjects such as computers, physics, home electronics, whatever....allows them to use their powers for good.

Nerds focus on things that are completely irrelevant: LoTR, Star Trek, Buffy, etc....while they also have competence in the same fields as geeks do, their interests in the meaningless crap in life supersedes that which could provide some societal benefit. Hence, nearly all of them are socially inept, which means that the majority of the assholes writing computer viruses are probably Nerds.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: Engraver
Which side do they think they are, and which side do you think you are?

I dunno... it just said Geeks vs. Nerds.

One of my bosses came up with the team name Knights of Neek, like nerd+geek, which means we get to call them the gerds.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
I watch starwars, startrek, stargate, play video games and setup token-ring networks for the lulz. I enjoy stargazing and read books like "the fabric of the cosmos" as entertainment and enlightenment... I also get laid regularly by a foxy red-headed pro-swimmer girl... What am I? :Q

in b4 X/0

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Geeks are more of the trendy, nerdy people. Kind of like VH-1 (lol) said, being a geek is actually cool these days. They're kind of like nerds, except not as excessive/obsessive about things. It's the obsessive/excessive nature that promotes the weird dress apparel, attitude and look that has been stereotypical of nerds since Steve Urkel. Although, he was pretty damn social for a nerd....

Originally posted by: manowar821
What am I? :Q

Someone that needs to provide pics of said foxy red-head :p.

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
I watch starwars, startrek, stargate, play video games and setup token-ring networks for the lulz. I enjoy stargazing and read books like "the fabric of the cosmos" as entertainment and enlightenment... I also get laid regularly by a foxy red-headed pro-swimmer girl... What am I? :Q

in b4 X/0

an asshole for not posting pics?

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Originally posted by: Joemonkey

in b4 X/0

an asshole for not posting pics?

Who didn't see that on coming?

Without pics I am forced to assume your hand has a lot of red hair on it

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
I heard that geeks and nerds were basically the same except that nerds don't realize that people don't give a crap in what they're interested in.