What seperates geeks and nerds?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: meltdown75
i think a geeky person is defined more by the activities they partake in and the ability to step back and say, "this is fun but i have a life". whereas a nerd is just straight up nerdy and uncool, while also participating in the geeky activities, he/she does so on a more hardcore level and also lacks the ability to seperate themselves from it because they are so damn nerdy that it's all they have. there are a lot of different types of geeks, and the term itself is quite cliche and all-encompassing because anyone can be a "geek" for something.

LOL

one of my coworkers just stopped in (hottie) so i asked her what she thinks the difference between geeks and nerds is.

"well, a geek is into computers and can be cool, but a nerd is just into computers." :)

Being that the above tidbit came from a hottie, I think that reinforces my statement :p

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: ahurtt
What separates geeks from nerds? Easy. Star Wars vs. Star Trek. I thought everybody knew that.

Thats my take.
With that said I PROUDLY wear the nametag of "Geek" I have no problem with that adjective being applied to me. "Nerd"? Them's fighting words

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: manowar821
I watch starwars, startrek, stargate, play video games and setup token-ring networks for the lulz. I enjoy stargazing and read books like "the fabric of the cosmos" as entertainment and enlightenment... I also get laid regularly by a foxy red-headed pro-swimmer girl... What am I? :Q

in b4 X/0
:laugh:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: manowar821
I watch starwars, startrek, stargate, play video games and setup token-ring networks for the lulz. I enjoy stargazing and read books like "the fabric of the cosmos" as entertainment and enlightenment... I also get laid regularly by a foxy red-headed pro-swimmer girl... What am I? :Q

in b4 X/0

I bold faced liar. :D

Casawi

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 2004
Nerds can't handle liquor, but u can find some sponge geeks.
Maybe the % of virgin nerds is significantly higher than % of virgin geeks.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Nerds are the ones who would say in a semi-high pitched, nasally voice: "neeeeeaahhhh Linux".

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Rubycon
About one desk length. :laugh:

A quick skim over that statement almost put me into a :shocked:! I guess I'm a nerd because my desk is kind of small :(.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Two sides of the same coin.

Nerds are hardcore...their nerd nature defines them and they're nothing else. This sole devotion allows them to achieve feats that your standard geek might not, at the expense of being able to dress themselves, communicate with normal people in a passable fashion and get laid.

Geeks are like nerd-lite, or nerd-normal hybrids. They're into nerd stuff, maybe even obsessively so but when pressed are capable of passing themselves off as a fairly normal human being. While they are no masters of social interaction, they at least understand the rules of the game. Nerds are unaware that the social landscape even exists.

Dorks are like Danny Devito in Twins. They're all the left over crap, waste products, a failed design. They're to stupid to hang with the nerds and have social skills so bad even the geeks say "WTF is wrong with that guy?" after talking to them.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: OdiN
It's kind of like the difference between you and a straight guy.

:roll:

Originally posted by: Lazy8s
geek=band
nerd=orchestra

amirite?

Opposite I think. I was in orchestra, and my fellow bassists and I were always the ones throwing parties and such back in High School.

Originally posted by: torpid
Geeks have their own culture. So do nerds, but theirs are biological in nature.

:laugh:!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by: SoulAssassin
The nerd is the one that cares what the difference.

I'm guessing you're referring to me :p

I'd consider myself a geek. I can actually talk to people without interjecting all sorts of nerdy things.

Originally posted by: rh71
nerds are a helluva lot more respectable me thinks.

Why's that? Because they concentrate on their nerdiness and don't turn into normal people? :D

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Geeks have money, are social, some are quite metro, and are good looking (checking mirror... :p) and loves technology.

Nerds are nerds. I think they just love technology and a bit emo.

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
This is the way I see them:

Geek - WoW players, most gamers, D&D, comics, computer hacking, higher CS kill ratio = bigger penis, harder time to get a mate because they rather play WoW than have sex, more social than nerds (at least we play D&D with other geeks)

Nerd - 23-7 studying, won't accept anything lower than an A-, perfect SATs, academic pride, higher grades = bigger penis, harder time to get a mate because they rather study than have sex, less social than geeks (alone in the library studying)

I'm 80% geek, and 20% nerd. So basically, I'm a geek.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: invidia
This is the way I see them:

Geek - WoW players, most gamers, D&D, comics, computer hacking, higher CS kill ratio = bigger penis, harder time to get a mate because they rather play WoW than have sex, more social than nerds (at least we play D&D with other geeks)

Nerd - 23-7 studying, won't accept anything lower than an A-, perfect SATs, academic pride, higher grades = bigger penis, harder time to get a mate because they rather study than have sex, less social than geeks (alone in the library studying)

I'm 80% geek, and 20% nerd. So basically, I'm a geek.

I like this comparison.

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Originally posted by: meltdown75
I think LEEEEEEEROY JENKINS was a geek, and the rest of the clan were nerds.

That's an interesting take there, and I think I agree. I don't think Leeroy's geeky nature makes him an anarchist or anything, but maybe he was soldiering on in the eternal battle between geeks and nerds. Cuz those other dudes were definitely nerds. :Q