What runs hotter AMD FX-55 or AMD 64 3200+ (socket 939)

puma1824

Senior member
Jan 17, 2001
852
0
76
I'm thinking about upgrading my HTPC CPU from a 3200 to a FX-55. My M/B is a MSI Neo4 Platinum Socket 939. The main thing I'm concerned about is heat due to the low air flow case I have.

Does anyone know which runs hotter at stock speed?

Thanks in advance,
Puma
 

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
9,352
21
91
the FX for sure. but i wouldnt be too worried, as the athlon64s arent that hot of cpus compared to p4s...
 

Furen

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2004
1,567
0
0
Do you do any encoding on your HTPC? An X2 3800+ may be a better choice than an FX-55. It should be substantially cooler and have a second core, to boot. FX parts are usually hotter than their non-fx counterparts, even at the same clock.
 

puma1824

Senior member
Jan 17, 2001
852
0
76
Originally posted by: Furen
Do you do any encoding on your HTPC? An X2 3800+ may be a better choice than an FX-55. It should be substantially cooler and have a second core, to boot. FX parts are usually hotter than their non-fx counterparts, even at the same clock.

So all X2 3800+ (socket 939) run cooler the two mentioned above?
 

customcoms

Senior member
Dec 31, 2004
325
0
0
No, an X2 will be hotter than a 3200+. But cooler than a clawhammer based FX processor, which is what the FX-55 is. I don't recommend the FX series period, and nor the X2 3800+. Why? Because this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103588 is the cheapest the dual core AMD processor and WILL clock to 2.6ghz. The latest shipping info indicates they are CCBBE steppings, most of which are 3ghz capable (not necessarily on air). Most 3800+'s top out around 2.6-2.7, half 1/2 the L2 cache, cost more and the stock heatsink is crap compared to the stock opteron heatsink.
 

puma1824

Senior member
Jan 17, 2001
852
0
76
wow answers are all over the place BUT appreciated. Still a little confused. Any case I can get the (all socket 939) FX-55, X2 3800, and Opteron 165 Denmark 1.8GHz for around the same price (the 3200 I have). The motherboard is a MSI Neo4 platinum, so I'd have to go with a compatible chip. More suggestions? Again operating environment is in a low noise (fans running 5-7v) HTPC case Silverstone CW01 (insulated with PC sound deadening material). 80mm x 2 front, 80mm x 2 rear, with 120mm PSU mounted by PCI slots. All vent holes are blocked to force air from front to rear. Presently NOT post-processing but may in the future with FFDShow...presently using MCE w/xbox v1 media extender.

More input/suggestions?
 

customcoms

Senior member
Dec 31, 2004
325
0
0
I would say for an HTPC going with the Opteron 165 would be a good idea. The newer stepping go far on stock voltage, and should net you at least a 2.6ghz chip (thats two FX-55's on one die basically), even in an HTPC I doubt heat would be a factor at that speed. Basically, the only AMD S939 processors worth buying are those Opty 165's...best BANG for the buck imo, if you already have the rest of the rig.
 

puma1824

Senior member
Jan 17, 2001
852
0
76
Originally posted by: customcoms
I would say for an HTPC going with the Opteron 165 would be a good idea. The newer stepping go far on stock voltage, and should net you at least a 2.6ghz chip (thats two FX-55's on one die basically), even in an HTPC I doubt heat would be a factor at that speed. Basically, the only AMD S939 processors worth buying are those Opty 165's...best BANG for the buck imo, if you already have the rest of the rig.

So would you say besides my existing 3200 the opteron would be the coolest?
 

imported_Crusader

Senior member
Feb 12, 2006
899
0
0
I moved from a 3200+ to a FX55.

FX55 is the hotter chip. But not worth not moving to it. Its still not "hot". This aint a prescott..

I'm idling at 38C right now.
 

ajemm

Member
Jul 29, 2004
117
0
0
I went from a 3500+ to a FX-55 in my Antec Aria (aka Easy Bake Oven) and with cool n quiet enabled, my idle temps rose 2 degrees to 38°c. At full load it gets up to 60°. That's 5 degrees C more than the 3500+. The FX really doesn't run all that much hotter.
 

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
20,736
1,377
126
Opteron 165 FTW! Newegg is selling tons of CCBBE's right now, about $155, usually free 3day shipping .. cheers :beer:
 

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
13,357
7
81
Originally posted by: Arkaign
Opteron 165 FTW! Newegg is selling tons of CCBBE's right now, about $155, usually free 3day shipping .. cheers :beer:

x2

I got one not that long ago from ebay - that way I knew exactly what stepping I was getting - and my CCBBE 0617FPMW is clocked to 2.81GHz with stock volts and can go farther if I get the temps lower. I think watercooling is in order once money allows.