What Retail stores will hire people w/o retail experience?

Vortex22

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2000
Staples turned me away because I had no previous retail experience.
Best Buy application said I need retail experience (I applied anyway)

Anyone know some retail chains that will hire people that don't have any previous experience. I really don't want to end up flipping burgers :frown:

Vortex22

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2000
Originally posted by: fivespeed5
I started work at Staples. Try Office Max, Office Depot, Comp Usa.

The office max near here isn't hiring... sucks because It's literally 30 seconds from my house. I turned in an app. anyway.
I'll have to check out Compusa and Sears, thanks.

Dec 4, 2002
What retail stores wouldn't hire people w/o retail experience? Really, most have their own "training" programs & their are no real "skills" involved. Just apply at the one you would rather be working at.

Vortex22

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2000
Originally posted by: CheapArse
What retail stores wouldn't hire people w/o retail experience? Really, most have their own "training" programs & their are no real "skills" involved. Just apply at the one you would rather be working at.

I got asked straight up if I had ever worked at a retail store by the lady at staples when I was turning in the app. I said no, and she said sorry we can't hire you. I had no idea they were going to instantly turn me away, but I noticed the now hiring sign said experience required on my way out. (The job wasn't even a supervisor or manager position either, just retail sales rep.)

Vortex22

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2000
Originally posted by: melly
try sporting good stores that sell runners and workout apparel.

Ohh I didn't think of that. Gonna stop by finish line and champs in the mall... thanks.

Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Vortex22
Originally posted by: CheapArse

I got asked straight up if I had ever worked at a retail store by the lady at staples when I was turning in the app. I said no, and she said sorry we can't hire you. I had no idea they were going to instantly turn me away, but I noticed the now hiring sign said experience required on my way out. (The job wasn't even a supervisor or manager position either, just retail sales rep.)

Sorry, I suppose I should have read your entire post...where you mention that was the reason for not getting hired. Perhaps there were in need of someone right away and didn't have time to train you. CC hired me as my first job with 0 sales experience 0 customer service experience....then again, thats CC for ya. ;)

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
I'd say if your not against them lookup WalMart...they take whoever they can get pretty much and u can make cashier within a few month period. The friends i know that barely work with them for 6 months get amazing benefits and even optional retirement plans and stuff liek that. Its truely a really great place to get started at i think, maybe not the best business model but you get a lot of experience in a lot of areas from what i seen by working there.

FuZoR

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2001
weird... most retail stores will hire anyone unless they need some look or its one of those higher-end stores....

just hit the mall...

OREOSpeedwagon

Diamond Member
May 30, 2001
yep, try sporting goods stores. I've worked at a locally owned one the past 1 1/2 years and its not bad, didn't have any experience (and was 15 when hired :p). Its good and fairly simple work that you can use on your resume or whatever if you want to look for something better.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
I think majority of the retail stores out there will hire you. I'd try Circuit City. I put did their online application and was called back the same day. However I did have some retail experience under my belt.

But, you shouldn't have to have any. I applied and got hired at Comp USA with no retail experience under my belt.