What recourse do I have if someone stole my FedEx package?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by StormRider, Oct 15, 2007.

1. StormRider

StormRider Diamond Member

This is the first time I've had something stolen. Usually FedEx leaves the package on my front steps and it's there when I get home. According to FedEx's website it was delivered at about 1:00pm at my home. I got home at around 8:30pm and it isn't there.

This morning there was a truck doing plumbing work for one of my neighbors (I think he had some emergency work being done as there was a truck the night before advertising emergency home repairs) -- I'm thinking it might have been one of the workers who took it.

It was an order for 4 HP 1GB DDR2 memory chips from CostCentral so I'm out $200. Is there some kind of insurance with FedEx? Or am I out of luck?

2. RKS

RKS Diamond Member

Contact the vendor, contact FedEx, if you paid via CC; contact your card issuer. Someone will take the blame. There is no way I would end-up paying for this issue.

3. RaistlinZ

RaistlinZ Diamond Member

Vigilante justice.

4. AgaBoogaBoo

AgaBoogaBoo Lifer

Fedex's portion was to take a product from the vendor and ship it to the address given, which they did. After that, someone stole it.

From what I can tell, unless something in the shipping contract says that it has to be given to you directly, this issue is not related to the vendor or Fedex. Maybe home insurance?

5. imported_Baloo

imported_Baloo Golden Member

What did FedEX say when you called them? You did call them before posting here, right?

6. StormRider

I realize that it really is not FedEx's nor CostCentral's fault. The only one at fault is the thief who took it but I just sent email to CostCentral anyways (to see what recourse I have if any -- for example was the package insured against theft?). I also tried to file a claim on FedEx's website but got this notice:

If it was stolen by one of the plumber/worker then it was really bad luck. According to FedEx's website, the order had 2 deliver exceptions where it was sitting in their truck but for some reason it wasn't delivered.

If it had been delivered on either of those two prior days, I don't think it would have been stolen. It was just bad luck that it was finally delivered on a day when there was a bunch of people working next door.

But who knows? Maybe some kid took it. I'm bummed out by this. $200 is a lot of money and what's worse is that it had a $160 rebate. The worst thing is that now I will worry about ordering anything from the Internet again... and buying things from the Internet is one of the few things in life I enjoy :(

7. conehead433

conehead433 Diamond Member

Inform the sites you order from that you want signed delivery. I have signed driver releases for FedEx and UPS so they will leave packages without my signature and have never had a problem. I live off the road a bit so it's not so much of a problem.

8. Alistar7

Alistar7 Lifer

O/P - buying things from the Internet is one of the few things in life I enjoy

Dump all that extra cash into lotto and hookers, sound investment advice.

You should track down and kill every handyman within a 100 mile, no make that 500 mile, radius until you get your package back. You could ask your neighboar who handled their repairs and start with them, but it makes just as much sense to leave them for last.

Use a chainsaw and lots of quicklime, update thread with pics after each slaying.

9. Cdubneeddeal

Cdubneeddeal Diamond Member

My friend from Fedex said if the shipper did not complete the "Signature Required" field on the AWB, then Fedex is in the clear. She is also curious as to why it sat on the truck for two days.

10. Alistar7

Alistar7 Lifer

It has already been 8 minutes, have you killed anyone yet? Do you even have your chainsaw ready? If you are not going to be committed to action, please don't ask for good advice.

11. LS20

LS20 Banned

12. StormRider

Yeah, I've never seen a "delivery exception" on my traces before. And to have it happen two days in a row.

13. StormRider

Wow, that's basically what happened to me. How did things resolve for you?

At the worst, I'm hoping CostCentral can remail me the invoice so I can try to get the $160 rebates back. Losing $40 is a lot easier to swallow than losing $200. The only reason I bought these sticks of memory was because of the rebates.

14. BigRig04

BigRig04 Member

alternative suggestion....if you have a neighbor that's home all the time (retired, for example) have your packages delivered there so someone can actually take it in the house. Then they can fire you an email or leave you a voicemail letting you know it's safe! :)

15. dahunan

dahunan Lifer

Call FedEx and get them to start an investigation.. There is a chance that the driver delivered it to the wrong address?

Do you have a signature release on file for your house that allows them to dump a box on your doorstep without getting a signature?

16. Rill22

Rill22 Senior member

Have it delivered to your work address next time?

17. bGIveNs33

bGIveNs33 Golden Member

The blame probably falls on the vendor it's their job to get the package into your hands. If they don't require a signature then they should take it up with fedex.

18. StormRider

I remember signing a signature release form a long time ago since I've never had any problems with theft before (and I work during the day so there's no one home to sign for things). This is the first time I've had this happen to me. Unfortunately, my workplace doesn't allow for personal packages. Oh well...

19. iamwiz82

iamwiz82 Lifer

Last time it happened to me I disputed the charges with AMEX and got my money back. The package showed up just about a month later :roll:

20. bGIveNs33

bGIveNs33 Golden Member

Well then I redact my statement.