Question What RAM speed should I get?

Craig C

Mar 28, 2019
For i9-9900K (not OC), integrated graphics,
Asus Maximus XI Hero or Asus WS Z390 Pro,
unknown M.2 or SATA3 SSD, 256 GB,
4x4 GB or 4x8 GB RAM.

Intel says use 2666 MHz, but Asus says the boards go up to 4400 MHz. That is the part I don't understand.

If I'm not OCing, not a gamer, and want my parts to last as long as possible, which speed should I choose?

Craig C

Mar 28, 2019
Will faster RAM, or more GB, increase CPU temps?
Or will the RAM itself run hotter?

Craig C

Mar 28, 2019
Will faster-than-DDR-2666 require overclocking my i9-9900k? I don't want to shorten its lifespan.

freeskier93

Apr 17, 2015
2666MHz is just what Intel validates to, what the motherboard supports is more important. You don't need to overclock the CPU to get higher RAM speeds. All RAM these days have XMP/AMP profiles, you literally just go enable XMP/AMP and it will configure the RAM to advertised speeds. Anything beyond that you have to manually configure.

What exactly is your intended use? The i9-9900k is a high end processor, so presumably you're doing something that requires a lot of processing power, and will likely benefit from fast RAM.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I would go somewhere in the middle. The faster ram is NOT OC'ing, but it runs faster. 3000 to 32

Reactions: Oyeve

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
So, why does Intel limit its reccomendation to 2666?
Probably because that was the highest official JEDEC-spec DDR4 on the market at that time, and Intel needs to keeps specifications official, for people that need to do "Real Work" on their platform. Gamers, on the other hand, feel free to overclock the CPU or the RAM (XMP is overclocking, didn't you know). Intel doesn't officially sanction overclocking (*though they provide the tools to do it with), so they don't sanction XMP speeds as "officially supported", any more than they will officially sanction an "official 5Ghz CPU overclock".

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Anything faster than the default 2666 is considered (by intel's standards) to be overclocked RAM. You don't have to overclock your processor to overclock RAM, and if you buy (as an example) DDR3200, you don't have to actually overclock that. it SHOULD run at that speed...
Always buy RAM that's on the motherboard's QVL. You MIGHT get other RAM that will work just fine...or not. RAM on the QVL has been tested by the board's manufacturer and is "guaranteed" to work at the listed speeds. (Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean YOUR CPU will like it...but generally, if it's on the list, it works just fine.

Dasa2

Nov 22, 2014
Why buy a expensive overclocking MB if you don't want to OC?

I think you may be misinformed about overclocking as it typically extends the usable life of the PC not shorten it.
A overclocked CPU can easily last 10+ years but by this time it will be getting a bit slow making the gains from overclocking all the more important and if the system dies it will most likely be due to a part failure unrelated to overclocking unless you are runing stupidly high V.

Running RAM over 2666 is overclocking the memory controller on the CPU and as such requiers a Z series MB but it is nothing to be worried about although at higher speeds around 4000+ for 16GB and 3600+ for 32GB there is a higher chance of instability depending on the quality of the CPU\MB\RAM.
The benefit of higher RAM speeds is increased CPU performance with minimal change in heat\power use other than what is generated by the CPU spending less time idle while it waits on the RAM.

Last edited: