Majushko

Dec 9, 2016
Hi! My PC is :
Pentium G5460
Asus Strix RX470 4GB
ASrock Z170 Extreme 4+
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHz
128GB SSD, 1TB WD Blue

In future I want to buy I5 6600K or 7600K so i need to count with this.
I was looking for EVGA 500BQ. Is It Enough for this build?

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Are you upgrading the PSU from an existing one, or choosing parts for a new build?

As a rule of thumb, the processor doesn't matter when choosing a power supply. Any power supply that's enough for whatever graphics card you want to to use, is also enough for your CPU. RX 470 uses about 130W and requires a single PCIe connector so technically even a 350 watt unit would be enough. 500W-650W makes the most sense though: you have the most options, watts per dollar is the highest, and the capacity is high enough for almost any single GPU setup with overclocking.

EVGA 500 BQ is built by Andyson which is merely OK, and covered only by 3 year warranty (5 years would be better, 7-10 years is common among higher end units). I'd probably buy something else. Where are you buying from?

PianoMan

Jan 28, 2006
I'd initially agree with the EVGA unit being enough, but OP hasn't indicated:

- Plan to OC?
- Budget upwards?
- Willing to accept average build PSUs / Frequency of upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PianoMan

Jan 28, 2006
Woah - not much wiggle room at all. If you want to stay in the EVGA line, next up would be a 550W GS; but that is not only too much dough, but probably too much PSU for your build. If you can't stretch up that much money-wise, then you should stay at the 500BQ. Any other brands you looking at?

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
500w is more than enough, my Ryzen 8 core system in sig over clocked to 3.9Ghz running prime95 and furmark at the same time only draws around 400w from the wall(a completely ridicules never going to be obtained with real software scenario).

In real tasks such as gaming, handbrake, photoshop ive never seen it draw more than 300w, usually less.

The only reason i went with a 650w PSU was to cover myself for a upgrade to Vega later this year, that and the smallest Corsair RMi is the 650w.

The only thing i would consider is a step up in quality but honestly that evga unit will likely be fine.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
What store will you likely purchase from? I don't know if the SeaSonic M12II is available where you are, but here it's within that budget. As mentioned, ~500W is more than enough. The Skylake and Kaby Lake i5 use very little power, as does the RX470, even if you plan on overclocking.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
What about BeQuiet! Pure Power 10? It has silver+

That looks good. FSP manufactured (Seasonic has a better reputation and it's hard to go wrong with them, but most of FSP's current products are very good, too), and BeQuiet! is a good brand with very quiet cooling.

It's only a 3 year warranty on the BeQuiet! unit, though, but if it's priced low enough that wouldn't bother me too much. The Seasonic is probably worth paying for if you can fit it in your budget, as it's also fully modular.

Last edited: