What processor for Adobe Photoshop Elements?

Jul 24, 2014
I have a friend who is looking to build a desktop computer or nongaming purposes and will not be doing any overclocking. He needs to be able to effectively and smoothly run Photoshop Elements. He is currently looking at an i5 4690, but he is wondering if:

(A): Will the integrated graphics be just fine, or does he need more graphics horsepower from either an add-in GPU or maybe a switch to an A10 7800?

(B): Is the i5 processor overkill for his needs? He's probably looking to future proof his build a bit, and he seems to be fine with spending the money on the i5 4690 but isn't opposed to saving some money.

As far as (A) goes, I don't know anything about Photoshop Elements and if it needs any real graphics horsepower.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Monitor/calibrator is number one
SSD's
Plenty of ram
CPU - more cores the better
Discrete GPU is helpful for applying effects

That's pretty much the order for spending your money. In my experience, more cores in the CPU is better than fewer faster cores.

turtile

Aug 19, 2014
Any current processor will run Elements smoothly. I'm not sure if Elements supports GPU acceleration. But if it does support Intel graphics, it should be plenty fast enough. Of course, only advanced filters take longer than a second on even huge photos. It's not like we will be seeing 100MP cameras anytime soon!

8-16GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD are a must for speed.

bonehead123

Nov 6, 2013
^^^ what magnus & turtile said......

and as I always say:

ram it bam it damn it.....

if u dont have the ram, you will be in a jam :)