what precautions for mail in rebates do you take?

draggoon01

May 9, 2001
just wondering. not only what precautions do you take, but what has saved/helped you when a rebate required fighting?

i photocopy everything, and get certificate of mailing for rebates over $50. although i question if the certificate of mailing will help with anything should trouble happen (they claim to have not received it).

i was reading the rebate tracking thread in hot forums, and it's sad what a headache rebates can be.

anything to protect against company claiming mir never arrived? that would require certified mail right? but that would be too expensive for most mir

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
photocopies mostly

i've never not gotten a rebate i've applied for, its the application part that is my downfall :(

draggoon01

May 9, 2001
so has certificate of mailing or delivery confirmation actually helped someone when fighting for a rebate?

can you even get a delivery confirmation since most rebates go to PO boxes?

psianime

Golden Member
Mar 16, 2002
I scan everything with my scanner and I write down the rebate information on a sheet of paper so I can keep track of it. I give all my rebates 10 weeks to arrive. After that I start harassing the rebate company listed on the rebate form.

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Photocopy everything. I photocopy envelope with address and stamps on it, the UPC, the forms, the reciepts. Then keep them ready for a battle in 8-12 weeks.

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
advice from a person who used to deal with fry's rebates:

1. PHOTOCOPY EVERYTHING. the rebate submission form, the receipt you send, and the UPC

just by photocopying everything alone, you should have information such as phone numbers, contact emails, and websites to track the rebate as they usually list it right on the rebate form.

if you don't make a photocopy, you will be ROYALLY screwed.

a certificate of mailing is a good idea for those rebates that require it be sent in by a certain date, that way they can't screw you if they say "oops no received after the deadline."

the best advice is photocopy, and give them an extra week or two after they say the rebate will arrive. THEN start harassing them.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
  1. PaperPort
  2. Meter the postage so that I have a receipt that allows me to reconcile the postmark date (to a particular zip code). This is not proof, but a personal record in case I need to make a phone call.
    • My threshold for a certificate of mailing is approx. a $100 rebate
I've had a pretty good rebate track record over the years, only a few did not get fulfilled and at least one was my own fault.