What position would you put the crappiest player in in a game of baseball?

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
Where would you be on the field to have the least possible chance of making contact with a ball?

Wonderful Pork

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2005
in my softball league, we put the worst players at catcher. 99.9% of the time, if they are going to score a run, there is nothing that the other players can do about it.

habib89

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
if you're talking about the pro's, i guess maybe first.. but even that's pretty hard, cause people are always throwing things at you.. if it's like a softball league or little league baseball, then right field.. no one ever hits there.. all kids pull the ball..

catchers in the pros is one of the hardest positions.. if they're good, they know all the hitters and their tendancies and therefore how they should be pitched to.. and then they can block a 90mph ball in the dirt... not easy

I Saw OJ

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Where on earth are you guys getting first base?! Thats one of the most important positions on the field.

Right field is where you put the crappy kids. Most people bat right handed so they are most likely to hit a ball to either left or center field.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Kelvrick
Pitcher and catcher!

Anyway, isn't it right field and like third base?

Not 3rd base. You need a strong arm and quick reactions.

I would say right field or catcher.

Accipiter22

Banned
Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: BlinderBomber
Pitcher and catcher!

Trot Nixon > than you.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Right field usually. I think first base typically has to handle fewer ground balls than the other side of the field, but of course he has to catch the ball from the other infielders.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

As a former catcher, I think it's one of the hardest positions in the game to be good at. Just go to a little league (~8-10) and see how many passed balls there are. Not to mention trying to judge a ball that is popped up to the catcher is killer. And then you have to try to catch the pop-up with a glove that isn't designed to catch pop-ups. And you have to do it all wearing a suit of armor in 90 degree heat.

Man I loved catching. <---- SHUT UP :|

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Pitcher and catcher!

Eh? I figure the short stop can cover him if needed. The other positions don't have help as close.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Pitcher and catcher!

And I'd say you're an idiot. Catcher is BY FAR the hardest position to play in baseball. In baseball if I had 2 really good outfielders I'd stick my weakest fielder in center. That would allow both the corners to cheat over a couple of steps to cover him and cut the area he was responsible for way down.

Midlander

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2002
Right field would be my first choice. After that, I'd say second base. The balls aren't hit very hard in that direction, the player's not too close to the batter, so there is time to react, and even if he just knocks the ball down, he has time to pick it up and throw the runner out. And it's a short throw to first, so he doesn't need much of an arm.

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
Worst players, in most cases, are the catchers on the team but offense from this position is just gravy with all the beating that they get behind the plate. When players aren't that good defensively, they usually play LF or RF but those two positions are usually power positions so you'll find a lot of sluggers there (i.e. Bonds and Manny). Soriano, who never played LF, is playing LF this year for the Nats and if anyone remembers Rick Ankiel, he tried to convert himself into a LF'er after failing as a pitcher.

n yusef

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2005
Pitcher and catcher!

Eh? I figure the short stop can cover him if needed. The other positions don't have help as close.

No shortstop can cover a line drive to third base, which is what most of the balls there are. In higher level baseball 3rd base requires the most reflexes of any position on the field.

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
Originally posted by: Midlander
Right field would be my first choice. After that, I'd say second base. The balls aren't hit very hard in that direction, the player's not too close to the batter, so there is time to react, and even if he just knocks the ball down, he has time to pick it up and throw the runner out. And it's a short throw to first, so he doesn't need much of an arm.

This man speaks the truth

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: I Saw OJ
Where on earth are you guys getting first base?! Thats one of the most important positions on the field.

Right field is where you put the crappy kids. Most people bat right handed so they are most likely to hit a ball to either left or center field.

Apparently they're getting it the same place you got RF from. :roll:

I used to disrespect right all the time, then I realized they almost always have the longest throws when they hit the ball because anytime someone goes oppo they're either a) trying to move a runner over/in so the throw is usually to third or home or b) trying to wait on it and hit it into the gap meaning the throw is gonna go to second or third.

The truth is, you don't put the crappiest player in the game. It's that simple. From high school and beyond you can't afford to have someone that sucks anywhere on the diamond.