What Place Does God have in our Justice System

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
While it is common knowledge that God plays an important official role in our beliefs and is recognized in documents, what is less clear is his (her, or its) presence during the judicial process. Usually when there is talk of supernatural beings in court proceedings, either a psychologist or psychiaterist has to give a scientific (rational) explanation. Religious figures are seldom allowed to give explanations. In fact, those that become intimate with supranatural beings are usually relegated as crackpots or psychos whose recommended home is the local asylum. If we recognize God as our creator, why isn't he (she, or it) taken more seriously in our Justice System?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Dari
While it is common knowledge that God plays an important official role in our beliefs and is recognized in documents, what is less clear is his (her, or its) presence during the judicial process. Usually when there is talk of supernatural beings court proceedings, either a psychologist or psychiaterist has to give a scientific explanation. Religious figures are seldom allowed to give explanations. In fact, those that become intimate supranatural beings are usually relegated as crackpots or psychos whose recommended home is the local asylum. If we recognize God as our creator, why isn't he (she, or it) taken more seriously in our Justice System?

Because GOD is Illegal and Unconstitutional.

TheBDB

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2002
Hmmm, I'm trying to think of reasons why god would be brought up in a court room, but I'm having trouble. Can someone post some examples of times when god should be taken seriously in court but currently isn't.

(I'm not being sarcastic or trying to make fun, just trying to understand the question better)

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
Originally posted by: TheBDB
Hmmm, I'm trying to think of reasons why god would be brought up in a court room, but I'm having trouble. Can someone post some examples of times when god should be taken seriously in court but currently isn't.

(I'm not being sarcastic or trying to make fun, just trying to understand the question better)

Yeah, right after the verdict and sentencing to death, and the family members of the convicted go "OH GOD!!"

Thats just one example.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Because God said "Vengence is mine" (I've read) and this if implemented would sorta take the rock out of the hands of the accusers.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Can you guys stop joking around and give me a serious answer. This issue is bound to result in a lawsuit in the future.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Can you guys stop joking around and give me a serious answer. This issue is bound to result in a lawsuit in the future.

Because the finder of fact is the jury or in non jury litigation, the judge. If a 'full blown' christian sitting on a jury hears scoff, scoff directed toward an individual and against their belief the scoffing side will be hard pressed to convince this juror on other matters... The converse is also true. It depends on the makeup of the fact finder.
If you are speaking of God in our laws, the federal government is precluded by the 1st amendment and the states by the 14th (equal protection clause) to associate God with a law as either the reason for it or the penalty for not having it.

Wolfdog

Aug 25, 2001
Like it or not religion is the base of most of the laws in the nation. Up until recently it was also used to swear in someone who is testifying before they take the stand. I feel that most of the religious beliefs would tend to make a more orderly society. Even taken as the ten commandments, it would alieviate most of the lawless behavior. Thou shalt not steal, thou shalt not kill, thou shalt coveat another mans wife,... etc. So I would think that religion should have a smack center posistion in the justice system. Since most of the moral fundementals in all but the stupidest laws have thier basis in christianity.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Wolfdog
Like it or not religion is the base of most of the laws in the nation. Up until recently it was also used to swear in someone who is testifying before they take the stand. I feel that most of the religious beliefs would tend to make a more orderly society. Even taken as the ten commandments, it would alieviate most of the lawless behavior. Thou shalt not steal, thou shalt not kill, thou shalt coveat another mans wife,... etc. So I would think that religion should have a smack center posistion in the justice system. Since most of the moral fundementals in all but the stupidest laws have thier basis in christianity.

So if the bad guy reads the law and sees god said "..." somewhere in the law he'll mend his ways and become a upstanding member of society? The religion of the bad guy is 'me'. It has not to do with whether religion is the basis of our society or rocks. We decided to live according to society norms and if they be based on a rock or god who cares.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
While it is common knowledge that God plays an important official role in our beliefs and is recognized in documents, what is less clear is his (her, or its) presence during the judicial process. Usually when there is talk of supernatural beings court proceedings, either a psychologist or psychiaterist has to give a scientific explanation. Religious figures are seldom allowed to give explanations. In fact, those that become intimate supranatural beings are usually relegated as crackpots or psychos whose recommended home is the local asylum. If we recognize God as our creator, why isn't he (she, or it) taken more seriously in our Justice System?

No because God never existed in the first place!

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

The Soviet Union had a more "orderly society", but no one here would want to live under that. You are somewhat correct though, a society based around religion is more orderly as it narrows down viewpoints to a more manageable level. That said, the US Founding Fathers wanted more than just "order", they wanted Freedom to disagree, Freedom to reject what others consider "order".

The arguement that certain Laws are based on the Bible is also somewhat questionable. Certainly, most European based legal systems since the fall of Rome have based their legal systems on the Bible, but the Bible is not the sole source of such laws, nor are they the first. Again, the Soviet Union also had these laws and I doubt Lenin and others used the Bible as a basis for them. Even the cannibals of New Guinie(sp, blarg, I really massacred it) had laws concerning such things. Every civilization, every tribe, and even criminals have similar laws/rules of conduct.

May 16, 2000

No, in fact it isn't. English law, which is where our law comes from, is derived from Hammurabi's code, which itself came from the general historic practice of various tribes and peoples predating Christ by between 2000 and 4000 years. This would predate Moses by 1000-3000 years, depending on which sources you believe. Our laws are NOT christian laws, they are the laws of men as created and then modified by man...influenced by various beliefs certainly, but BEGINNING LONG BEFORE any commandments as we know them.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands

No, in fact it isn't. English law, which is where our law comes from, is derived from Hammurabi's code, which itself came from the general historic practice of various tribes and peoples predating Christ by between 2000 and 4000 years. This would predate Moses by 1000-3000 years, depending on which sources you believe. Our laws are NOT christian laws, they are the laws of men as created and then modified by man...influenced by various beliefs certainly, but BEGINNING LONG BEFORE any commandments as we know them.

You truely are a prince ! Bravo !

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Drift3r
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands

You truely are a prince ! Bravo !

Don't read too much into my responses. I'm as sickened by liberal atheist attacks on private religion as much or more as I am by religious zealotry trying to infiltrate every fiber of our way of life. I think both sides are insane and need to go find a different country, let the moderates live free and in peace.

Shad0hawK

Banned
May 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

prove that definitive statement.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: LunarRay
Because God said "Vengence is mine" (I've read) and this if implemented would sorta take the rock out of the hands of the accusers.
My my, what a disquieting notion. Perhaps such thoughts don't even belong here. I mean after all, Lunar, here comes Dari proudly marching into this thread with the stupendous feeling that man is the measure of all things and that God is just a sort of catch all we use to make it easier for the elite to present this fact as a fait accompli to the less intellectually endowed masses. Do we really want everybody to understand that it is man in his puny arrogance that makes law and pretends to justice just like that, raw and in the buff? No no, it is much better for those who know, the Dari crowd and his mentors and secret society beings and all that sort of thing, to feel superior behind a buffer. Let the lowly think that God winds the clocks of justice. It is expedient that way. It will all amount to the same thing. The elite will make the rules. The elite will make the rules and humanity will go extinct, except for the fools who who commune wit spirits and died and were reborn.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Shad0hawK
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

prove that definitive statement.

They did prove it, they rule.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://
[L=http://www.gainesvilletimes.com/news/stories/20031129/opinion/734038.html">Courts can't ever remove God, faith from our hearts</a>]http://www.gainesvilletimes.com/news/stories/20031129/opinion/734038.html[/L][/L]

An open letter to Bo Turner, Greg Holder and the ACLU: You have succeeded in having the Ten Commandments to be removed from our Courthouse wall. That is and has been your agenda from the beginning.

But the real agenda is to remove the name of God and His teachings from the public eye. It's not about separation of church and state. This has been and will continue to be the agenda of those who have opposed Jesus Christ and His teachings since He came into the world as our Lord and Savior.

Well, let me just tell you something. You can take the Ten Commandments from off the Courthouse walls. You can take all the manger scenes out of the parks and malls. You can even take by blessed bible and tear the pages all apart. But you'll never take Jesus out of my heart.

You can take away my right to pray, and even throw me in jail (that's been done before, remember Daniel?) But you can't take away the life he gave and you sure can't send my soul to hell.

You can take away my liberty to preach God's Holy word. You can make it be against the law to witness door to door. You can stop our boys from preaching in the streets and even in the parks, but you'll never take our Jesus out of our hearts.

You can even take my life and bury me in a grave so cold and dark. But thanks be unto God you'll never, ever take my Jesus out of my heart.

So, fellow Christians don't lose heart. These things must come to pass. But as Jesus said, "when you see these things come to pass, look up, for your redemption draweth nigh." By the signs of the times, it won't be long. "Hold fast so that, that thou has," as Paul said and that is Jesus Christ.

So continue with your agenda, as I know you will and I will continue to pray for you that maybe somehow the Holy Spirit will be able to open your eyes to the truth again. God bless you.

The Rev. J. Ronald Mote

Pastor of Bethel Temple C.H. Church,

Habersham Mills, Demorest

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
In fact, those that become intimate with supranatural beings are usually relegated as crackpots or psychos whose recommended home is the local asylum.

That sounds like your OPPINION. Unless you have actual facts to back that up, you are just blowing smoke and spreading lies.

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: XZeroII
In fact, those that become intimate with supranatural beings are usually relegated as crackpots or psychos whose recommended home is the local asylum.

That sounds like your OPPINION. Unless you have actual facts to back that up, you are just blowing smoke and spreading lies.

No, that's quite accurate, when talking about active litigation. Anyone who uses the 'God told me to do it' defense is immediately assigned mental care. Over the top relationships with any religious or spiritual endeavor ARE considered psychological mishaps and are almost always addressed in court in that manner.