What Photo Printer Should I Get?

w00t

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2004
I have the Canon Powershot S60 what photo printer would be good for this camera? sorry this isnt exactly computer hardware but i didnt want to put in off-topic.

Snakexor

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2005
the epson picturemate, imho, is horrible we use it at work (bby) to demonstrate all the time and there are so many lines across the page where the ink went down...

get a canon ip6000 or ip5000 depending on your needs, with the 5000 delievering more dpi

wfn

Feb 14, 2001
snake,

ive never had any issues with that printer and if you search the forums here you'll see many many happy owners some of which are into pro-photo. i've seen demos in a lot of stores and many times they're just raped to sh1t and being used with wrong stock, etc.

w00t,

search this board, as well as arstechnica and hardocp, i was facing the same question 6 months ago.

BHeemsoth

Platinum Member
Jul 30, 2002
Seriously, just print your photos at CVS. It costs $.29 per print, which is less than you would pay for photo paper and the amount of ink used, and it will look even better. Then get yourself an efficient ink jet or a laserjet for your everyday printing.

Diasper

Mar 7, 2005
I say get the Canon ip4000 or ip5000 - they produce great prints at great cost efficiency. There's very little difference between them - even when you get the ip5000 to do 1pl drop size. Also they are very economical - Canon inks are cheaper than any other manufacturer - of course you could still use 3rd party inks although *do* your research with them. Why I'd suggest those over the ip6000 (which produces ever so slightly superior colour prints) is because they are better all-round printers than the ip6000 - faster and better text but also in photo printing they are more economical because using less colours they forego using the more dilute colours - meaning more prints for less. Anyway callibrate any of those printers correctly and you'll get amazing results - photo-lab stuff.

Additionally, just about the general cost of printing if you start factoring travel costs (eg fuel) or just the time needed to go there when you could be spending time elsewhere (wife, kids, friends etc) it does add up. Also, you just can't beat the convience of being able to change everything and anything on the fly - don't like it - re-print it.

Just a further point use Ilford Classic Pearl as a cheaper option to Canon Paper - very good results and on par with Canon Pro - get the Ilford profiles from their website. If you're in the US I think a 3rd party sells the same paper even cheaper under their own name - check steves-digicams.com forums for more information.

Oh and additional point about the papers, I find getting A4 paper is better cost efficiency-wise - just get a paper cutter liek you see in artist studios (can't remember proper name) and cut it up to whatever size you want. But anyway you can say you can get approx 2 prints of upto 7.5" x 5.5".

Hope that helps
Diasper

LED

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: w00t
I have the Canon Powershot S60 what photo printer would be good for this camera? sorry this isnt exactly computer hardware but i didnt want to put in off-topic.

well there's always the Peripherals Forum...with what you have stick with Canon and get the iP3000 for $70 or the iP8500

MangoTBG

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
I vote for the sony PictureStation...it prints real photographs, not like some of those crappy photoprinters that if you get wet all the ink begins to run off

whoiswes

Oct 4, 2002
canon printers rock - i've had the i470d and now the IP3000 - both produce FLAWLESS prints, and the cost per print is extremely low (only a few cents, basically). generic cartridges can be had for $1-$2 and last me for several weeks at a time.

a huge plus is that the IP3000 is so quiet, i can't even hear it printing if i have music on.

Mar 20, 2005
canon ip4000... i have a canon old i950 & ip3000 (for the kids); i've suggested the ip4000 to some friends, and prints are very very nice, price has dropped considerably...

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Canon iP4000 at around $50 after rebates at Office Depot B&M only thru today. If you just got that canon camera from a legit retailer then you will get another $50 rebate (if you haven't already gotten a rebate on it) - Canon printer alone $20. rebate - printer with camera (doesn't have to be at same store - IDK how far apart the purchases can be to accept - or if that model is too old to be included) $70. rebate!

.bh.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: rpbri2886
Seriously, just print your photos at CVS. It costs $.29 per print, which is less than you would pay for photo paper and the amount of ink used, and it will look even better. Then get yourself an efficient ink jet or a laserjet for your everyday printing.