What percentage of ATPN is in DC this weekend?

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Now that's something I would be interested in checking out. Hmmm that's funny I don't see Rick Sanitarium on the guest list? :D

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
At the peak of cherry blossom season there right now. Wish there was some way I could make it down there.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Is this related to the Hunger Games? I was wondering, because all of my friends in NoVA are talking about the Hunger Games (on facebook) or something like that.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
I'm going to see Hunger Games tomorrow night. I'd probably attend that rally if I lived out east. I wouldn't pay for an expensive plane ticket to attend it though.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'm going to see Hunger Games tomorrow night. I'd probably attend that rally if I lived out east. I wouldn't pay for an expensive plane ticket to attend it though.

I seriously don't get everyone's love for the Hunger Games. It's not that I don't appreciate crappy young adult fiction, I mean I read every Harry Potter book and loved them. Whatever it is, I couldn't get down.

I am impressed that they were somehow able to make a movie about murdering children PG-13 though.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I seriously don't get everyone's love for the Hunger Games. It's not that I don't appreciate crappy young adult fiction, I mean I read every Harry Potter book and loved them. Whatever it is, I couldn't get down.

I am impressed that they were somehow able to make a movie about murdering children PG-13 though.
Its a story sorta ripped off an old stephen king short story but I do wanna see it after all the tweens and douches see it and then my middle-aged ass can see it and hear it without any ZOMG! DID YOU SEE THAT? LEMME TWEET ALL MY FRIENDS! You yougnsters and your talking in theaters!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Its a story sorta ripped off an old stephen king short story but I do wanna see it after all the tweens and douches see it and then my middle-aged ass can see it and hear it without any ZOMG! DID YOU SEE THAT? LEMME TWEET ALL MY FRIENDS! You yougnsters and your talking in theaters!

You mean the running man? The Hunger Games isn't too much like it outside of the fact that there's a TV show where people really die.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
You mean the running man? The Hunger Games isn't too much like it outside of the fact that there's a TV show where people really die.
No, the long walk. Running man is not even remotely close to THG or the movie version of the running man.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
No, the long walk. Running man is not even remotely close to THG or the movie version of the running man.

I can see that a bit more, although even then the plots are a lot different. (although I liked the story of the long walk much better than the running man)

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005

I haven't read the books. My wife has and loves them and she bought the tickets. I was less than thrilled as she also loved the Twilight books and I hated those movies with a passion but was forced to see them anyway. But then earlier today I checked out Rotten Tomatoes and HG has an 86% rating from the critics, so I'm thinking the movie might not be too bad.

My wife is very concerned about the PG13 rating given the graphic violence in the book. She thinks they may have neutered it too much.

The one I'm really looking forward to in terms of mainstream entertainment is Nolan's final installment in the Dark Knight trilogy. That for me is a much bigger cinematic event than this.

- wolf

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I haven't read the books. My wife has and loves them and she bought the tickets. I was less than thrilled as she also loved the Twilight books and I hated those movies with a passion but was forced to see them anyway. But then earlier today I checked out Rotten Tomatoes and HG has an 86% rating from the critics, so I'm thinking the movie might not be too bad.

My wife is very concerned about the PG13 rating given the graphic violence in the book. She thinks they may have neutered it too much.

- wolf

Oh I wouldn't worry too much then. I've never read the twilight books, but my understanding is that they are simply abominable. The hunger games was fine, but forgettable.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
At the peak of cherry blossom season there right now. Wish there was some way I could make it down there.

It's also supposed to rain pretty much all day tomorrow, which would sort of counteract the cherry blossoms.

I live near DC, and I don't plan on going. I'm not really a "rally" kind of guy, on the theory that I like coming up with my own thoughts about things ;)

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
she'll be disappointed then, my wife came out of the movie saying she wants to see the R rated version. they used shaky camera cinematography to hide the awesome violence

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
I wanted to go, but just too expensive. I will probably go in a few year. It is one of the largest gatherings for people who use reason and logic instead of dogma.

May 16, 2000
I'd love to be at the reason rally...have a number of friends and online acquaintances there. Spending the week with my daughter however, and wouldn't spend the travel costs anyway. Hate being 3000 miles away from so much good stuff sometimes.

Hunger Games was pretty good. The book wasn't really well written, and was at a low level, but the story was fairly engaging. A lot of standard dystopia combined with more than a little Garreau. With enough coming of age and romance to hold the younger reader of course. I think if a master craftsmen had written it as a short story it could have been AMAZING.

The movie was fairly true to the book. Few major changes, and very well cast (if a bit older than written). It was entertaining throughout, though I think its one that's more enjoyable if you've read the story. Definitely tamed down the violence. My biggest complaint was that with the movie they almost totally abandoned the underlying themes (authoritarianism, agency, hunger/starvation, etc).